Netflix Documentaries for “Chilling” Over Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Netflix documentaries are the perfect way to “chill” over holiday breaks. We can’t think of a better way to constructively waste time! So put on your favorite pair of pjs, grab your ideal snack, turn off the lights, and get ready to check off your “learn something new everyday” goal!  

13th   

13th documentary was nominated for Best Documentary at the Oscars. It is a thought-provoking, informative story of the criminalization of African Americans.

Audrie and Daisy

Audrie and Dasiy tells the story of sexual assault cases of two young girls by boys they saw as friends. It is a heart-breaking documentary of harassment and bullying.

The True Cost

If you shop at popular stores like H&M, this documentary is important. The True Cost goes into detail about the links between consumer pressure for low-cost high fashion and the horrible experiences of the sweatshop workers who produce those goods.

Amanda Knox

The infamous Amanda Know wrongful conviction in 2007 is investigated in this jaw-dropping documentary, including the trial and judicial processes. Warning: Think carefully about watching if you are going abroad next semester.

Blackfish/A Plastic Ocean/Planet Earth

If you are interested in animals and nature, Planet Earth portrays spectacular scenes of animals in the wild and beautiful scenery. Blackfish and A Plastic Ocean are both difficult, yet essential documentaries to get through in terms of our mistreatment and ignorance for living creatures. Blackfish examines the life of the performing killer whale at SeaWorld. A Plastic Ocean investigates the pollution’s environmental impacts.

Gaga: Five Foot Two

Gaga: Five Foot Two follows Lady Gaga through her physical and emotional struggles of performing, specifically with releasing her new album and prepping for her Super Bowl halftime show. It provides valuable insight and another perspective into her life.

Growing Up Coy  

Growing Up Coy follows a Colorado family’s highly public battle for the rights of their transgender daughter through a civil rights case.

Hot Girls Wanted

Hot Girls Wanted spotlights the “amateur” porn industry and provides personal perspectives from the women the industry exploits.

Miss Representation

Miss Representation is a women’s empowerment documentary that explores media’s derogatory portrayal of women. It also goes into detail about the under-representation of females in positions of leadership.

Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son about Father (available on DVD only)

Dear Zachary is only available on DVD only. However, I highly recommend buying it or finding it on another viewing website. If you are in the mood for a good cry, watch this documentary. It honors Andrew Bagby’s life, who was shot by his ex-girlfriend. His killer becomes pregnant with Andrew’s baby and the documentary is filmed to tell the child about his father. The documentary provides unbelievable plot twists and a truly disgusting story.

Her Campus Bucknell hopes you have a relaxing, informative break! Come back to Bucknell a little wiser by watching these powerful documentaries!

Molly Farrell is a junior at Bucknell University majoring in creative writing and minoring in arts entrepreneurship. She enjoys long walks on the beach, netflix to continue playing, and her puns intended. Follow her on instagram: mfarrell34