Need Some Zen? – 20-Minute Dorm Room Yoga and Meditation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

This past summer I became a certified yoga teacher.  It was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.  But, coming back to Bucknell has made it difficult to follow the same all day yoga, long sleep, and healthy eating ritual I adopted over the summer.  No doubt about it, we Bucknellians are busy.  However, yoga is something that makes sense in the craze of classes, extra-curricular, and social events.  The following is a 20-minute (or less) sequence that can be done in even the smallest dorm room to help us master the art of Zen even with the craziest of schedules.

1.     Focus in on your breathing and set a mantra (3 minutes)

–       Move into steady Ujjayi breath (or breath with sound) by inhaling through the nose and exhaling through the nose at a steady pace

–       Setting a mantra, or intention, moves a yoga practice from a physical workout towards a mental training.  An intention should be thought about both during the practice and once we leave our mat. 

2.     Flow through a sun salutation A 2x to build heat (3 minutes)

Begin by standing in mountain pose

Forward fold

Halfway lift

High plank

Chaturunga to low plank

Upward facing dog

Downward facing dog

Halfway lift

Forward fold

Arms rise overhead

Return to mountain

3.     Go through a modified sequence intended for relaxation (5 minutes)

Warrior I: step the left foot back and in at 45 degree angle, align the right foot with the left heel, bend at the right knee, and bring arms over head

Warrior II: turn left foot to side of mat, and bring arms out to side, gazing over front fingertips

Triangle: Straighten the front leg, then hinge forward at the waist, and fold over the front leg reaching for calf, toes, or mat

Wide legged forward fold: Come up and to center, and fold forward between legs

OTHER SIDE

Squat: Sit just above the floor, bring hands to hearts center and use the elbows to push out onto knees

Camel Pose: Kneel on the floor, resting your hands on the back of your pelvis.   Either stay here or gently remove the hands from the lower back and keeping the core tight, bring the hands to the ankles, as the thighs remain perpendicular to the floor.

Child’s Pose: Coming up from camel pose, touch the big toes together behind you and lay your torso down between your thighs, bringing your arms out long in front of you

Bound angle: Come up from child’s pose, and place the soles of the feet together, then fold over your feet, once again reaching your arms out in front

Reclined bound angle: come up from bound angle and then release, laying back and bringing one hand to the chest and the other to the belly, checking in with your breath

4.     Take Savasana (4 minutes)

Take this final pose of deep restoration by laying back, stretching the legs and arms out long with palms facing up.  Let your breath occur naturally, feeling your body heavy on the ground.  This pose, while it may seem physically simple, can really be quite difficult, as it requires the practitioner to be both fully aware of and unattached from the present moment.  If thoughts flow during this pose, simply allow them to pass by and then return to the present.

5.     Meditate (5 minutes)

Now that your mind and body have gone through a 15-minute sequence of physical exertion and relaxation, continue to tune into your mental calm through meditation.  Either remain lying down or come to a comfortable seated position.  Gently close your eyes and begin to breath deeply.  Now you can remain focused on your breath to move into stillness or begin repeating the transcendental mantra So Hum, meaning literally “I Am.”  Continue this practice for 5 minutes (or more if you’re inclined!)

6.     Thank yourself for coming to the mat and say “Namaste!”

5 Quick Tips for Yogis

1.     Know, and listen to, your body – When should you push yourself?  When should you hold back?

2.     Nourish and hydrate before and after.

3.     Be consistent.

4.     Don’t take yourself too seriously. 

5.     If it doesn’t work, make a change. Don’t force anything; the practice will show up for you exactly when you need it.

What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.