Style > Fashion

Navigating Sustainable Fashion Habits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Among the chill of Pennsylvanian winter, countless Bucknell students have been keeping warm in their mini-Uggs, Lululemon scuba hoodies, and Aritzia puffers. In a few months, when it turns to spring, the newest fashion trends will emerge and spread like wildfire across campus. However, many of these trends promote brands that can not only be expensive, but unethical or ecologically unfriendly. In fact, clothing has become one of the most common items found in landfills around the world. So if you’re looking for a sustainable way to participate in trends without draining your bank account, consider second hand shopping: a way to shop that is better for you, the environment, and your wallet!

One of the most interesting aspects of fashion trends is their cyclical nature. Think claw clips, yoga pants, and low-rise jeans: They’re popular now, but this definitely isn’t their first claim to fame. Teens from the 90’s and 2000’s were wearing the same things, and in a few decades from now, they’ll probably make another return. This is what makes second-hand shopping so crucial! If clothes are constantly fluctuating in and out of style, it’s better to donate them rather than throw them in the trash, and on the consumer side, you should buy gently used clothing from thrift stores or small businesses rather than from expensive and unsustainable companies.

So if we’re not throwing our own clothes away, what do we do with them? One of the best ways to give old clothes new life is to donate old clothing to a local thrift store. You can often find donation collection bins or Goodwill locations just about anywhere to donate to. Conversely, if you are looking for a sustainable place to shop, there are plenty of local businesses you can support that are just steps off of campus! On Market Street alone, you can stop by Trendy Trades Boutique, Leslie’s Closet, and Wilson Ross, all of which specialize in selling gently used second-hand clothing.

If you’re looking for a way to clean out your closet while making a little bit of cash, there are plenty of online options for second-hand selling and buying, too. Depop and Poshmark are just two of the many services where you can sell your “preloved” clothing from the palm of your hand. They also provide a great place to upgrade your closet, giving you personalized suggestions of other people’s clothing that fit your size and style. These apps are much simpler when it comes to wanting name-brand items without the price tag.

Soon enough, you’ll be walking out of class into the comfort of the warm sun, or spending your free time with friends on the Quad. When warmer weather returns and you’re itching to upgrade your closet, consider donating or reselling your winter clothes, and try to search second-hand stores or services for more sustainable looks!

Emma Yorke

Bucknell '26

Emma is a sophomore student at Bucknell studying marketing and business analytics. She's a proud New Jersey native who loves chai lattes, making new friends, watching Gossip Girl, and listening to Taylor Swift!