Music Festivals to Look Forward to This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

From April 15th to the 24th, California’s Coachella Valley transformed into a breeding ground for good music, good food, and good vibes. That’s right – Coachella 2k16 has already come and gone with a bang. Although the stage has been dismantled and the flower crowns been put away, there’s no need to despair; the end of Coachella leaves us excited to see what’s in store for the coming summer. With all of the different music festivals scheduled to take place over the next few months, summer break is the perfect opportunity to get your live music fix. There’s nothing quite like getting to see your favorite artists perform up close and personal – the energy is incredible, and the vibes are unparalleled. So collegiettes, get out your summer bucket lists, because it’s time to make some room for these amazing-sounding music festivals.

Bonnaroo – Manchester, TN (June 9-12)

If you happen to find yourself down south this summer, Bonnaroo is the place to be. A massive four-day festival in Tennessee, Bonnaroo will be showcasing big names like Ellie Goulding and the Chainsmokers. In addition to music, the event itself is held to promote recycling and sustainability. Bonnaroo features a ton of innovative, environment-themed activities to participate in when you need a breather from the chaos of the festival.

Gov Ball – New York City, NY (June 3-5)

Another big one, Gov Ball is the go-to festival for NYC kids. Each of the three days of the festival will feature a main headliner: The Strokes, The Killers, or Kanye West. Aside from its incredible musical lineup, Gov Ball is also revered for its food lineup. Every year, the festival brings iconic Manhattan food vendors to Randall Park Island. From ramen burgers to Momofuku Milk Bar, you’ll be sure to leave Gov Ball with tons of Insta-worthy food pics on your camera roll.

Outside Lands – San Francisco CA (August 5-7)

California girls have reason to rejoice: the Outside Lands lineup is looking amazing. Located in the gorgeous Golden Gate Park, Outside Lands attracts about 40,000-60,000 people per day. Although it gets a bit of a bad rap for lack of crowd control, Outside Lands is known for bringing a great musical lineup to sunny CA, from popular names like Radiohead and LCD Soundsystem (who was a huge hit at Coachella) to more alternative up and comers in the music industry.

Lollapalooza – Chicago, IL (July 28-31)

Held in the windy city, Lollapalooza is a celebration of all things music, art, and culture. With its very own arts market, tons of carnival-themed food fare, and dance and comedy shows galore, you’ll never run out of things to do. The festival will feature a wide range of incredible musical artists, including The 1975 and Flume. Because Lollapalooza has proven to be so wildly popular over the past two decades, it’s spread to other parts of the world – Lollapalooza festivals can also be found in South America, Germany, and Israel.

Firefly – Dover, Delaware (June 16-19)

Modeled after Bonnaroo, Firefly aims to cater towards people in the northeastern region of the country. The festival will feature the same amazing names mentioned earlier, along with others like Mumford & Sons and Kings of Leon. One aspect of the Firefly experience that sets it apart from other music festivals is its camping feature. Participants can elect to camp out overnight in tents or an RV. Not an outdoorsy type but still want that full festival experience? Never fear. Firefly also features a “glamping” option – glamorous camping, otherwise known as camping with AC and charging stations.

Want to know more about these festivals/buy tickets? Check out these links below: