Music Festival Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

La-la-la. It is officially spring, the season full of joy, pollen, and music! Just recently, the SXSW Music Festival showcased talents from all over the world, giving us a sneak peek at what the magical weekends of the music festival season will be like. From mainstream Coachella to the quirky Electric Daisy Carnival, these major music events offer endless amounts of fabulous music and, of course, fashion. Turn on some Crystal Castles, Phoenix, Grimes, or Janelle Monae as we navigate through festival-worthy looks.

Classic:

A simple, clean, and versatile outfit that can be worn to most of these festivities! The jean jacket will keep you warm during those chilly nights; don’t be afraid to tie it around your waist and frolic around during the day. This look is bound to help you blend into the environment and make you feel as though you were born in the muddy fields of the festivals, figuratively.

Modern Hippie:

Ah, yes. Woodstock. Some music festival fans may be bold enough to state that Coachella is our generation’s Woodstock equivalent. Whatever your opinion is, embrace your inner hippie and show a little love. Wear that flower crown proudly with your hair down and hands up in the air. Modernize it with a cute cross-body bag (good for safety as well) and a pair of classic Converse.

Sweet and Sour:

Next-door-girl meets punk rock? Keep it sweet but add a bit of edge to stand out in the crowd. Accessorize a cute dress with hard jewelry and cat-eye sunglasses that show others you mean business.

Meow:

Inspired by none other than Ri-Ri, this little ensemble is to dig up that tough, chic, motor girl within ya (I know she’s there!). Be a bit of a wild child with the leather skirt and awesome Jeffrey Campbell cut-out booties. The sleeveless vest can be worn with a short sleeve, tank, or light long sleeve shirt! Again, very versatile!

Brace Yourself:

I have never attended EDC, but I have seen PLENTY of pictures from past attendees. And boy, do they know how to party. Go full-out with neon, tutus, daisies, and in-your-face accessories. Many girls who attend opt to wear short spandex bottoms paired with a cropped top. Be sure to keep it tasteful.

These are just some options for you to explore and experiment with as you go out and rage. Keep an eye out for major blogs that start keeping track of their favorite outfits and see if any of ours measure up!  

Sarah Dubow graduated from school in 2013 and is a Digital Strategist at Marina Maher Communications in New York City. After serving as Campus Correspondent at Bucknell University, she is so excited to continue being a part of the Her Campus team! Besides traversing the city and trying to figure out what being a "real person" really means, Sarah loves long walks on the beach, sipping pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain (kidding!). Real favorites include traveling, writing, kickboxing, and making up ridiculous lyrics to the latest songs. She absolutely loves anything that involves cupcakes, butterflies, glitter, and anything Parisian and specializes in baking with far too much chocolate and obsessively watching shows bound to be cancelled after the first season. Though the long term path for this post-grad collegiette remains unclear, she's looking forward to all the new 20-something adventures that await her!