This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Fashion trends change very often, at least a few times a year with each season. Trends can vary wildly from one year to the next, making fashion an important and interesting part of our culture. Life in 2020 might have been put on hold because of the coronavirus pandemic, but fashion and its trends still evolved accordingly.

The biggest trends of 2020 appear to be neon colors, pastel colors, suits, athleisure, animal print (especially snakeskin, leopard, and zebra), belted bags (a modern spin on fanny packs), leather, and puffy sleeves.  

Neon colors have been on the rise lately and are becoming more and more common. Donatella Versace used many neon looks with chic tailoring in her Spring/Summer 2020 collection, as did Tommy Hilfiger at London Fashion Week for TommyNow Spring/Summer 2020. Multiple celebrities have also adopted this trend, including Kim Kardashian West, Kylie Jenner, Blake Lively, Jennifer Lopez, and Winnie Harlow. 

Pastel colors are also in style! New York Fashion Week 2019 for Spring/Summer 2020 boasted color, which is new. There was a lot of mint and pistachio green, primarily by Ulla Johnson and Tibi, as well as orange sherbert, used by Tory Burch and Area on dresses, and baby blue was used by Adeam by pairing a beige dress with a baby blue cardigan. Kate Spade used lilac with a pop of bright orange and a beige dress. It’s safe to say that pastel colors will be around for a little while; they have been called a “classic.”

Suits are up and coming as of late, and they are fashion forward for any time of year, even when paired with shorts for the spring and summer seasons. There has been a ton of fashion advice regarding suits: many say to use this trend to stand out and that bold colored suits like blue or red are an effortless way to look sophisticated. Blazers are also in style, especially when paired with pieces that aren’t suit-related. 

Athleisure has taken over the fashion industry over the last few years, with sneakers, leggings, and workout clothes generating a lot of revenue recently. Comfort itself has taken its place in fashion, and that’s why so many “strange” trends such as sneakers with dresses and leggings with blazers and pumps are so prominent. Biker shorts would fit into this category; the craze for biker shorts and sneakers is trending and probably will be for a little while. Across the world, sneakers are becoming more popular in streetwear and everyday looks. 

Animal print has been making a comeback over the past few years, with snakeskin being arguably the most popular animal print this year. Zebra and leopard prints are also really popular, and all of them add a bold look to your outfit or wardrobe. It’s definitely a good idea to have some in your closet; this trend is up and coming and still developing. 

Belted bags are making a comeback as well, but not the fanny pack kind. It’s becoming more common and stylish to wear a belted bag around your waist or chest. It’s a stylish way to compliment your outfit while still being practical, which is the appeal. 

Leather is back! Leather jackets are everywhere, as well as leather pants and accessories. Since sustainable fashion is becoming more prominent, and consumers are becoming more conscious of the way fashion affects the environment, fake leather and vegan leather are really popular. A leather jacket is a fashion staple everyone should have!

Puffy sleeves are dominating a lot of different fashion looks right now, including athletic wear and coats. Think puffer jackets, poofy sleeves on blouses, and loose sleeves replacing workout tank tops. Because comfort is becoming a primary concern in fashion, you can expect to see a lot more puffy sleeves for the foreseeable future, especially since they’re versatile and compliment tighter bottoms, such as leggings. 

Sources:

https://www.thezoereport.com/p/new-york-fashion-week-springsummer-2020s-color-trends-included-these-pastel-sherbet-hues-18760359 

https://sewport.com/fashion-trends#:~:text=The%20main%20fashion%20trends%20for,people%20are%20tired%20of%20jeans.

Bucknell University class of 2023
Isobel Lloyd

Bucknell '21

New York ~ Bucknell