Culture > News

Miss Brightside: Happy Happenings In The World This Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

In the current state of the world it is so incredibly easy to slip down the slippery slope of negative thinking. While yes, it is very important to be aware of and stay informed (it is so so important!) about the turmoil present in our own communities and backyard, the positive stories oftentimes are exempt from the news we consume on the daily. Let the following list act as a reminder that amidst tragedy there is still triumph in our little world. Here, put on these rose colored glasses for the next few minutes and open your heart to the happy happenings in the world this past week! 

• A Finnish professor, Dr. Laura Wey, discovered a new photosynthesis “hack” for renewable energy.
  • Students at the University of South Carolina are working on a project called “The Lullaby Project” to help incarcerated mothers write original lullabies for their children.
  • Life may exist on planets in an area called the “terminator zone” that do not rotate!
  • An NJCAA college wrestler fought (and beat) a grizzly bear to save his buddy.
  • President Biden continued the bipartisan tradition of conserving native land. Avi Kwa Ame (Spirit Mountain) in Nevada was named a National Monument last week!
  • 5 deserving, war-torn Ukrainian students won full tuition scholarships to United States institutions.
  • A new brain implant device has the ability to restore functionality in paralyzed limbs.
  • A couple wed at Taylor Swift’s March 18 Eras Tour performance!
  • An adorable husky named Harvey, who has a lopsided face, was adopted by a loving family who drove 2,500 miles to rescue him.
Kaelyn Jasina

Bucknell '22

Kaelyn Jasina is a First Year student at Bucknell University studying Psychology and Creative Writing. She loves to take spin classes on campus, go out with her friends, do yoga, and write stories highlighting what it means to be human. She hopes her work makes you feel empowered :)