Meet the Guy with the Guitar, Max Kortlander

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.
You’ve probably seen (or heard) the very talented Max Kortlander performing his music all over campus, but his love of singing and songwriting began long before his arrival at Bucknell. This senior has been hooked on music from a very young age, and lucky for us, it doesn’t look like he’ll be stopping anytime soon!

How did you first become interested in music and performing? 
When I was growing up, my dad had guitars around the house that I would mess around with every now and then. I started playing the bass when I was 6 or 7 years old, and have been making music ever since. My first memorable performance was covering “Smells Like Teen Spirit” with my older brother at my 4th grade talent show, which I’m sure was entertaining for all of the adults present. 

Tell us about your music-writing process. 
Songs come very sporadically for me. If I try to sit down and write it doesn’t usually come out well. Usually I’ll get and idea or hear something in my head and have to stop whatever I’m doing to figure it out. Almost always, the music comes first and the lyrics come second.
You’ve performed all over Bucknell, from the LC lawn to 7th Street. What do you love about it? 
It’s great to see people getting excited about music. The scene on campus was pretty underwhelming as a freshman, but after having met and collaborated with different musicians over the years, a really intense, tightly-knit group has presented itself. Now I play more at parties and unofficial events that have come out of hard grassroots work from the people at Bucknell who really want to make the music scene – even the art scene in general – be a fundamental aspect of social life.
Can we listen to your music online? 
Absolutely. Running From Thurmond (my band consisting of my older brother Michael and me) is releasing our third album “People Around the Radio) this Saturday on bandcamp. It’s totally free, and will be available at runningfromthurmond.bandcamp.com

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
I’ll 100% be celebrating the 5 year anniversary of this interview. Other than that, it’s all up in the air.
Favorites:
Class taken at Bucknell – Nihilism, Modernism, Uncertainty
Meal at Bucknell – Breakfast. Sandwiches. 
Freeze Flavor – Anything with Oreos.
Spot on Campus – Little House, of course

A Few Random Facts: 

I’m graduating soon and don’t have a job yet, so feel free to help me out with that however you please. Also, John Tyler (America’s 10th president) has two living grandsons.
Cameron is a senior at Bucknell University pursuing degrees in English and Theatre. Born and raised in suburban Philadelphia, she is a member of Delta Gamma sorority and recently spent a semester abroad in London (tea and scones galore!). Her favorite things include (but are not limited to) anything with the word "coffee" in it, her two shih tzus, peppermint gum, reality tv, and spending time with family and friends. She also enjoys experimenting in the kitchen, dancing, staying active, and singing. Her claim to fame? She was a street shoutout on the show "Cash Cab".