Meet GSA President Morgan Muller

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Celeb, Morgan Muller! 

Class Year: Junior (Graduating 2018)

Hometown: Clarks Summit, PA

Major: Computer Engineering

Pronouns: She/They

As the President of GSA, can you let our readers know a little bit about the organization and its function on Bucknell’s campus?

Bucknell’s Gender and Sexuality Alliance seeks to provide a space for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, and Questioning students to meet and relate to students of similar identities, have discussions about LGBTQ+ issues, and educate themselves and each other about our culture and community. We also host a wide variety of events that aim to increase visibility and acceptance of our community as well as educate the general Bucknell population about LGBTQ+ issues and identities.

How did you get involved in GSA and how has it made a personal impact on your Bucknell experience?

I got involved early on in my first year when I my RA brought me and a couple others in my building to the first GSA meeting. I immediately really liked the community there and felt like they would accept me for who I was. I think that they really helped me to become much more confident and accepting of other people and myself.

How can students of all identities get involved in GSA and become allies for the LGBTQ+ community?

Anyone is welcome to attend GSA meetings! They’re on Mondays at 8:30 in Walls Lounge, and we talk about a wide variety of issues, have activities, and build community. We also have a number of really fun and/or interesting events such as registers at Uptown, parties at Fran’s House, speakers, and our annual Pride Weekend. These events usually have people of a diverse range of identities in attendance, so they really aren’t just for LGBTQ people!

Being an ally is a journey, and can’t just be accomplished all at once, but treating your LGBTQ friends and peers with love, kindness, and respect is the first and most important step. Beyond that, make an effort to reach out and learn and show support on their terms, not just when it’s most convenient for you.  

What are some things that we can all do as Bucknellians to increase the visibility and inclusion of LGBTQ+ identities on campus?

One of the biggest issues facing Bucknell’s LGBTQ population on campus is invisibility. Much of our school’s social scene revolves around heteronormativity and the celebration of heterosexuality.This system often makes LGBTQ people feel isolated and neglected. It is on all of us to question this system and ask ourselves how we can improve it so that it includes and celebrates queerness as well. Challenge the assumption that straightness and cisness are ‘normal’ and the default, and challenge yourself and others to incorporate LGBTQ identities into your events, clubs, programs, and everyday lives.

Fun Facts

Favorite spot on campus: The LGBTQ Lounge

Favorite Bucknell memory: My freshman year when it snowed heavily one night and dozens of people ran out into Smith Quad and had a massive snowball fight.

Current song you have on repeat:  Angels by Chance the Rapper

Three words to describe yourself: Optimistic, Passionate, Creative

What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.