Meet Grace Toolan!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

1. You were an Orientation Coordinator, are an arts merit scholar, and president of Be Fashion among a myriad of other activities, how do you balance it all?
My planner is my life. I am constantly writing things down and making lists – I love lists! Being busy and going to meetings has become a normal part of my everyday life. In a strange way, I actually think all of my activities help me stay on a schedule and get things done.

2. Can you tell us a little about what Be Fashion has in store this year?
We have been working extremely hard this semester on our Homecoming issue which will be on campus very soon! I am excited about the entire look of this issue. I don’t want to reveal too much but the fashions and photos are very lively and fun. Our winter issue, which we are working on now, will feature a party theme with many articles, fashions, and edgy photos that I think our readers will find relevant and interesting. We have been having a lot of fun creating this new issue and I’m excited about the work we’ve done so far!

3. What is your favorite part about Bucknell?
There is so much that I love about this school but my favorite part has always been the people. Being surrounded by such driven, interesting, fun people has truly made my experience at this school what it is. I have made so many wonderful friends here, many of whom I consider to be like family. I think that is something so special that I have not experienced anywhere else.

4. What does being an arts merit scholar entail?
As an Arts Merit Scholar, I am required to major in Art History or Studio Art and must participate in several Art Department activities and events throughout the year. This ranges from dinners with prospective students to giving tours of the Art Barn and much more. Being an arts merit scholar has given me the opportunity to get involved in many more activities with the art department. In addition, this scholarship has provided me with another community on campus which has been something I really have enjoyed over the course of my time here.

5. You wear so many different hats here, what is your favorite one?
I have really enjoyed all of my leadership positions because of the satisfaction I feel from facing a challenge and being a part of something I am proud of. However, I can confidently say that Orientation has been the greatest thing I have done at this school. Not only did I become part of a new family but also I fully recognized my potential through being a part of the program. Becoming a part of this program helped me become a leader and is part of the reason why I have gotten involved in so many other activities on campus.

6. What is the one experience you feel has most significantly influenced you during your time here?
(I feel like I answered that with the last question? Orientation :)

7. We know seniors hate this question, but what are your plans after graduation?
In addition to my art history major I am also a Psychology major. My plan is to use my psychology major in working with children. I am currently deciding whether I want to go to graduate school next year to get my Masters in Counseling Psychology or if I want to work for a year before going back to school. Either way, I will definitely be working with kids. It is something I am very passionate about and it truly makes me happy. I believe it is important to find a career that feels less like work and more like an enjoyable and rewarding way to spend your time.

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com