Mastering Mother Nature With Shoes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Monday: High of 35 degrees F and winds.Tuesday: High of 65 and sunny skies.Wednesday: Snow.

Anyone else find herself wondering what could have happened that has made Mother Nature so angry and unstable lately? Despite the looming presence of April Fool’s Day last week, the weather definitely was not a joke. Within 48 hours, Bucknell campus experienced temperatures and weather ranging from 20 to 60 degrees and snow to sunny skies. With spring ready to bloom, we are all sick of the weather’s behavior. When will the warm weather prevail over the dragged out winter?

As a result of the bipolar season, I find myself staring blankly into the closet in the morning for hours at a time. We are in a sort of state of limbo when it comes to our clothing, especially shoes. It’s no longer cold enough for boots, but definitely still too soon to attempt to rock the flip-flops.  I have made the mistake of wearing boots on a random beautiful day, and I sat in class miserably sweating and regretting the decision I made upon leaving my dorm that morning.

So, the question then remains: what are we supposed to wear during this awkward transitional weather between winter and spring? Out of both frustration and pure confusion, I have made a list of great in-between shoes to rock during this difficult time of our lives. Take my hand as I guide you through some great shoes as well as what to pair them with, and I will lead you to the beautiful sun rays at the end of this never-ending winter.

1. The chic vans.Price: $50- $60Pair with: Leggings or distressed jeans and a Flannel.Perfect for: The collegiette who wants to be comfortable, but chic as well. I love throwing on vans and creating a look that says, “Hey, I just woke up but I am still pretty put together!” Chunky necklaces and darker colors paired with vans give the skater look a cool and edgy twist.

2. The sporty sneaker.Price: $50-$150Pair with: Jeans, a white t-shirt, and a light sweater or jacket.Perfect for: The collegiette who wants to be both fashionable and comfy! The sport sneaker and jean pair is becoming very popular in the fashion world, as the jeans give the sneakers a fancier look. Not only does it look sporty, but it also allows you to be comfortable for an entire day.

3. Birkenstocks (with socks?!)Price: $100Pair with: A loose dress, baggy sweater, and a thick headband.Perfect for: The collegiette looking to rock the boho-hippie look. Sure, some of you may be thinking, “We aren’t in middle school anymore.” Much to my excitement, however, Birkenstocks have made a tremendous comeback in the fashion world, and I predict everyone will be wearing them this summer. On a cold morning wear them with a fun pair of Free People socks and then as the day warms up, you can take the socks off! Bold and genius!

4. Ballet FlatsPrice: Prices vary!Pair with: Jeans, a blouse, and open cardigan.Perfect for: The collegiette who wants to look girly and flirty. I recommend Sam Edelman ballet flats, which are the most comfortable pair I can find to this day. Both flexible and supportive, the shoes will never give you blisters and are light for your feet! Although a little bit costly, they last for a very long time, through rain and shine. They are also super easy to just throw on with whatever your wearing, ranging from leggings to a fancy dress!

5. Oxfords or LoafersPrice: Prices vary!Pair with: A skater skirt, button up blouse, and jean jacket.Perfect for: The girl who wants to look smart and cute. Throw on a real (or fake) pair of glasses and you are set for tricking your professors into thinking you are 100% studious and ready to learn!

So, ha! Mother Nature, the joke is on you because we have discovered a way to escape your torturous changes in weather. Always remember, the key is choosing the right shoe to ensure comfort as well as wearing a lot of layers that can be shed throughout the day as the weather fluctuates. With this list, I have faith that we can all stand tall as we battle through the last few cold days of the year and get ready to start wearing flip flops! Which also means having to stress about getting pedicures soon as we finally begin to expose our long-hidden toes, but I guess we will worry about that when the time comes. Good luck and happy spring shoe shopping my friends!

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com