Making the Most of an Internship-less Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

It’s mid-April and it feels like everyone is finding out about the exciting internships that they’re going to have this summer. Don’t get me wrong, this is exciting news, but what do you do if you don’t have an internship, for whatever reason? Being a small-town, Midwestern girl, I’m unfamiliar with the perks of public transportation or even the idea of commuting to “the city”, as so many people lovingly refer to the Big Apple. Don’t get me wrong, it most definitely is exciting that so many Bucknellians have the opportunity to spend their summer under the guidance of well-known firms and established institutions. But what do you do if you don’t have an internship, for whatever reason?

There are so many ways to make your summer productive, enjoyable, and exactly what you want it to be, even without the title of “intern”. Don’t be hard on yourself if you’re waitressing or lifeguarding for the third summer in a row—those jobs are important, too! In addition to working a summer job, here are a few ideas that will have you coming back to the Buck in August feeling refreshed, empowered, and on the road to success!

1. Network like crazyWith the entire summer before you, why not reach out to local and national businesses and people that inspire you? Send some emails, make office visits and coffee dates, and don’t forget to tie it all together by writing thank you notes afterward! Return that call from your mom’s best friend’s boss’ cousin or actually stop by that new public relations firm in your town that wasn’t there when you were last home. Being bold and approaching businesses and the people who run them can seem intimidating, but most “real-world” adults are usually willing to help out young, aspiring professionals in their career fields because theyve been there and understand how much persistence and drive it takes to get where you want to be. 
  2. Devote time to doing what you love—There are so many times during the school year that I wish I had time to do the things that I love and that aren’t related to academics. Summer is the perfect time to make it your “job” to accomplish all of those “I’ll find the time” tasks and projects! Outline what you really want to accomplish and follow each task to completion. If you want to do more reading, set a goal number of books to finish and make a timeline (i.e. one book a week, twenty pages a day, etc.). Sometimes we really need to force ourselves to make our passions priorities before they get buried under all of the “super important” items that monopolize our daily to-do lists.  
  3. Volunteer—Giving your time to a cause bigger than yourself isn’t only rewarding and fulfilling, but it can actually help you to develop skills relevant to your career and professional interests. For example, writing event blurbs for local organizations or organizing charity-based fundraisers gives you real-world experience and usually ends up being a fun way to spend your time!  
  4. Polish your resume—It’s probably time to swap out high school Spanish club for that new position you took in the Do Random Acts of Kindness club, don’t you think? It’s easy to forget to keep your resume relevant, but you’ll thank yourself when you actually need to submit it somewhere and it’s all up to date. While you’re at it, update your LinkedIn profile, which is the social media key to the professional world.  
  5. Job shadow—If you want to further explore a career interest, ask local experts in your area for the inside scoop! Set up your own little “internship” experience by spending time on the job learning from the pros. If you’re not able to go into the workplace, try to meet and chat about the details of working in the specific field with a qualified professional.  
  6. Soak up the sunIf youre lucky enough to have the time to relax, use it! Do not feel guilty about taking some time for yourself if you’re using your time wisely and making moves to advance your personal interests and skills. Sure, summer can’t be exactly like it was when you were a kid, but taking the time to connect to those nostalgic roots can be refreshing. We only have so many true summer “vacations” left, so make the most of them and trust that you’re really not falling behind. You’re right on track withs where you’re supposed to be!
Sara is a current sophomore double majoring in Psychology and English with a concentration in Creative Writing. Aside from serving as the Vice President of Administration and writing for Her Campus Bucknell, she is a tour guide, holds a position in her sorority, and serves as a peer counselor at a local elementary school. Sara is an avid fan of yoga, coffee, reading, spontaneous dance parties, and anything that involves rainbow sprinkles.