This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Taking photos has always been the best way to remember your college memories. While this action has not changed, social media’s role in our lives has. Social media is a major component of the younger generation’s lives, especially college students. The pressure to have a “cool” post is as strong now as it has ever been. This could be due to the fact that with quarantine rules, and online-school, college students are on their phones a lot more. How does one spice up their social media photos? Here are a couple of ideas:

• One of the most iconic and popular mediums is polaroids. Understandably, not everyone can afford a polaroid camera. But if you are looking to splurge, you can purchase only for around $70 from Amazon. The “Fujifilm Instax Mini 11 Instant Camera”  (photo attached below) is definitely the most popular, but you have to consider all the costs. In addition to the camera, you have to purchase film for it as well. A pack of ten sheets (ten photos) costs around twelve dollars. It is not the cheapest option, but if you are looking to splurge, the photos will be worth it for sure.
  • If an actual polaroid camera is too much of a hassle, there are many other options. “David’s Disposable” is a free app for smartphones that lets you take photos exactly like a disposable camera. You have to wait until 9 a.m. the next day to open your photos. While this may seem annoying, the idea is to simulate the wait of a real disposable camera– so it is actually pretty neat. And this way, no one can complain about the photos until the next day. With this app, you can have the photos directly on your phone to edit and post at your leisure. It is a must-have for college students and their social media accounts.
  • Another idea is to get apps that mimic the effects of special cameras, like “David’s Disposable.” Apps like “Filto” have a feature that lets you turn the photo you select into a polaroid-looking result. While to get fancier with this option, you have to pay, for the simple effect, it is free and easy. So if you are looking for a cheap and easy replacement to a polaroid camera, this is it. This app also has numerous other features and effects that you can add to your photos that will make them stand out for sure

There is no pressure to change your photos or spend more money just to make them look different. But, if you are looking for ways to do this, there are a lot of options available for you, like these.

Kendall is from central NJ and is a strong lover of a bacon, egg, and cheese on a sunny Sunday morning.
Isobel Lloyd

Bucknell '21

New York ~ Bucknell