Life > Experiences

Life Through the Lens of a First-Year Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Have you ever wondered what it feels like to adjust to life in a foreign place? Do you remember what life was like as a first-year student and how you felt in new situations? Are you a newcomer to campus yourself and looking for your own recent experiences to be recognized? 

After (almost) completing my first year at Bucknell University, I now feel as though I have experienced one of the greatest challenges in my life up to this point—becoming independent, establishing myself confidently as a college student, and stepping into a new phase in my personal development. Here are three major lessons I have learned: 

Time Management and Responsibility

Reflecting back on the person I was when I first arrived on campus in August, I now realize how different I was at that time. Back then, I was fresh out of high school and was exiting a time in life when my schedule was overbooked with rigorous academics as well as endless hours of practices, rehearsals, and lessons. That goes to say that as exhausting as high school was, I came to Bucknell believing it had prepared me to take on the challenges of college and ready to balance heavy workloads and numerous extracurriculars, but I was only partially right. On one hand, high school definitely trained me and gave me the skills to handle large amounts of work and activities with grace and dedication. On the other hand, among the many skills I developed throughout my four years of high school, one thing I did not expect was the amount of free time and independence that comes with college. Since my weekly schedule looks different now—I no longer have class from 8am-2:30pm every day—this newfound flexibility in time along with freedom from parents and other adult figures has enabled me to use the time management skills that I learned in high school to find a proper balance between disciplining myself and seizing opportunities to relax and have fun.

How to Live with Another Person

If you are like most college students, you probably either have lived, currently live, or will live in a double dorm. At Bucknell in particular, most first year students have this type of living situation, as the university wants its students to have the experience of meeting new people and learning the lessons that come along with sharing space with another person. Personally, I grew up lucky enough to have my own bedroom, so when I came to college I hadn’t yet learned the ropes of what it is like to live with someone else; however, this past year has taught me so much about having a roommate. First of all, I was blessed in terms of who I was matched with. The two of us have so much in common from our high school backgrounds to our shared passion for dance and our similar long-distance relationship situations. Thus, we found a deep connection right off the bat that made living together so much easier. At the same time, we still had to learn how to be respectful of one another and give each other space when needed because the only place that truly belongs to a college student is their room. When I am home, for example, there are other rooms in my house where I can go if I need some personal space or time alone. On campus, the only place I can go for guaranteed privacy is my dorm room, which is still a shared space. Essentially, what all this means is that you must learn a certain regard for considering your roommate’s boundaries and helping them through difficult times.

How Wide the World Is & the Diversity of Perspectives

Coming from a small town and a tiny high school graduating class, I arrived on campus with limited life experience and a somewhat sheltered worldview. Having grown up with the same kids for the past twelve years of my life, even Bucknell—which is considered to be a small school—felt like a big change at first. Now that my first year is almost over, however, Bucknell feels just like home. What once seemed like a big, intimidating place is now familiar and approachable, but the people who made this internal change within me possible were the friends I have met this year. For the first time in my life, I have been exposed to people from other places besides my hometown bubble. If I had not had the chance to meet these incredible friends with different backgrounds and interests than me, I know that I would not be half the person I am now. 

In short, this past year has been a whirlwind of experiences and a chapter in the book of my life that I will never forget. So, if you are reading this nervous about what’s to come your freshman year of college, don’t be. There is so much in store for you and so many new experiences down the road that will forever change you. That’s it from me for now, so I’ll be signing off, but I promise to check back in next fall. Happy summer, Her Campus!

Hannah is a junior from Westbrook, Connecticut and a sociology and philosophy double major with a minor in dance. When not busy with academics, Hannah enjoys music, theatre, reading, and iced coffee.