This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

What could be better than writing a review on the new coffee shops in Lewisburg? Of course, I must check them out myself to give you the full scoop. Come with me while I compare Bucknell and Lewisburg coffee options and which places would be best for you!

First, let’s talk about the coffee places we already have in Lewisburg and why we’re excited to welcome two more! Amami Kitchen and Espresso Bar is one of the classics we all know of as Bucknell students. Only a three-minute walk from campus, students and locals stop at Amami to pick up or sit down to enjoy a classic Italian panini or one of their popular drinks! Although Amami is delicious, some have found their prices to be a bit high compared to other establishments in Lewisburg. Amami is one of the hubs for Bucknellians because of its close distance to campus and their acceptance of campus dollars, however, this often means it is quite packed and noisy, so it may not be the best place to get some work done. 

Another obvious and accessible stop for Bucknell students is Seventh Street Cafe. The cafe has been refurbished in recent years and has a welcoming environment with booths and couch seating. Not only does the cafe sell coffee and other drinks, but students can purchase premade sandwiches or sushi which they could find in The Bison or other dining halls on campus. Students have performed live music at the cafe and all are welcome to participate in the weekly events which take place. You can find Bucknell’s therapy dogs outside the cafe on Fridays and grab a free milkshake voucher on your way in! The cafe is an excellent and easy place for students to grab a bite or drink and get some work done, however, it does prevent some from exploring other parts of Lewisburg beyond Bucknell’s campus. 

The Lewisburg Farmers Market is another fun place for students to explore on Wednesdays throughout the year. They have a variety of coffee vendors as well as other food and products being sold throughout the market. The farmers market is less accessible, however, to students who do not have a car or free time on Wednesdays between 8am and 3pm. Although it is possible to navigate on the Bucknell shuttle to get to the market from campus, there is no direct route, and students would have to take a 5-10-minute walk from the shuttle stop. 

If students have access to a car, and a good chunk of time in their day, they can take a 15-minute drive to Wagging Tail Coffee Company. Located on the side of the highway, people can park their cars or use the drive-thru to grab one of their signature drinks – which are constantly changing with the seasons. I have personally found Wagging Tail to have the best and least expensive coffee in the area. However, due to the location, it is more of a sweet treat and special excursion rather than a quick place to grab a coffee. 

Now that we’ve established the well-known and current coffee shops in Lewisburg, let’s dive into the two new cafes which have just opened!

What students used to know as The Rail Trail Cafe is now Tastecraft. Located at the beginning of the Rail Trail, the new cafe is a perfect spot for Bucknellians and Lewisburg locals to grab a coffee before their walk. The cafe also provides a warm ambiance and a nice 10-minute walk from campus for students to bring their work. This cafe’s specialties are French macarons and wonuts – waffle donuts! The cafe started in Mifflinburg as Tastecraft Market, but when they decided to open a location in Lewisburg, they changed the name to just Tastecraft as they would not be selling as many specialty food products. The price of the coffee, although it adds up with more syrups and additions made, does not exceed what I would pay for the quality. The taste was rich and smooth and I would go again to sit down with some work or grab a drink before I head on to the rail trail. 

The last stop on my list was Culture Coffee, a bit farther down off of Market Street. This establishment was beautiful – white counters, tile floors, a minimalistic room with a few chairs – and has the potential to become a peaceful spot to do work. My first impression was that this place was very classy and upscale. The other guests in the shop were tasting coffee that was brewed right in front of them and discussing the flavor and origin. Yes, the coffee tasted great, however, for a broke college student, a $7 latte was a bit extreme for me. I could tell the store was new as there was little decor, and the lids did not fit on the cups. I think this coffee shop will do great if it brings in enough of the right audience, people who are looking for rich, authentic coffee, but may not be a new hub for Bucknellians. 

I think these two new shops will be a great addition to Lewisburg, although they will attract very different audiences. As busy and tired college students, we are always looking for coffee that fits our requirements of convenience, cost, taste, and atmosphere. With a little more time, Tastecraft and Culture coffee companies could join the list of Bucknellians’ go-to spots!

Ryan is a freshman and plans on double majoring in Psychology and Women's and Gender Studies. In her free time she loves to be outside, write poetry, and be with her dogs.