Alex Trebek of Jeopardy
Alex Trebek of Jeopardy
CBS Television Distribution
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

On November 8th, 2020, the world lost beloved Jeopardy! host Alex Trebek after he battled stage four pancreatic cancer for over a year. The show posted about this heartbreaking loss in a statement on Twitter:

“Jeopardy! is saddened to share that Alex Trebek passed away peacefully at home early this morning, surrounded by family and friends,” per a statement from the show. “Thank you, Alex.”

Alex dedicated 36 years of his life to hosting a show that engaged everyone from brainy intellects to regular game show junkies. For many people, Jeopardy! has been a staple of their lives from childhood to adulthood, and Alex Trebek is a household name. While the show was highly entertaining and mentally stimulating, everyone knows that Alex Trebek was at the heart of it all. Over the course of his time on the show, tuning in to Jeopardy! felt more like spending time with an old friend rather than watching a charming television personality. His calm disposition paired with his wry sense of humor and genuine enthusiasm for knowledge made him the perfect host. When contestants answered a question correctly, he rooted for them earnestly, and when they flubbed their answers, he always made sure to shift his tone in quippy disappointment. 

Alex said the key to being a good host was to set your ego aside and shine a spotlight on the contestants, because according to him, they were the true stars of the show. The contestants, even the ones playing from their TV screens at home, felt that. Alex’s passion for knowledge and respect for the audience was fully felt. One long-time fan turned contestant felt particularly touched by Alex and decided to tell him how much he meant to him in an emotional moment from Thursday’s episode of Jeopardy!. After celebrating his win, Burt Thakur teared up remembering the profound impact the host had on him. Thakur recalled his early years sharing that he learned English from watching Alex on Jeopardy!. He continued, saying that, “my grandfather, who raised me…I used to sit on his lap and watch you every day. So, it’s a pretty special moment for me, man. Thank you very much.” We’ll take “tear-jerker” for $300.

Thank you, Alex. We miss you already.

Ellie Hooker

Bucknell '21

Ellie is a senior at Bucknell University. She is a double-major in psychology and geography and a minor in dance, as well as a member of the Bison Girls dance team. She joined Her Campus as a way to feel more involved on campus and to express herself through writing!
Isobel Lloyd

Bucknell '21

New York ~ Bucknell