Last Minute Spring Break Destinations by Region

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Are you planning to go home for Spring Break? Are you jealous that your other friends are hitting up cool places like Mexico and Costa Rica?  There’s still enough time to plan a fun, more casual trip.  Set aside a couple days or even just one day and make a trip to a city near you!

Northeast

New York City, NY

It’s no wonder that a lot of people love New York!  There is always more than plenty to do there, since it is a city with such a rich history.  If you are making a day trip, consider taking a walk through Central Park, then shopping on Fifth Avenue.  If the weather is too uncooperative for that, an indoor option is to pay a visit to a museum such as the Museum of Modern Art or The Whitney.  If art isn’t your thing, look into checking out the 9/11 Memorial Museum or The Top of the Rock.  If you have already done those things or you’re searching for something more unconventional, try a Dumpling Tasting through Chinatown, or attend a create your own NY-Style pizza class!

Midwest

Chicago, Illinois

Ah, the famous windy city.  Chicago is a home of modern art and journalism, delicious food, and quirky people.  Check out Millennium Park for lots of concerts and a cool photo of your reflection in the silver Cloud Gate sculpture.  There are plenty of theaters and museums in Chicago to guarantee you’ll have something fun to do.  The Second City Theater is one of the most famous places for comedians to perform.

South East

Orlando, Florida

If you’re looking for somewhere warm and full of adventure, plan a trip to Orlando.  Here you will find the home of Universal Orlando (a movie themed amusement park), The Magic Kingdom, and even Harry Potter World.  You also can enjoy the sunshine and ocean at Discovery Cove— a park owned by SeaWorld that lets you snorkel, feed tropical birds, and even swim with dolphins.

South West

San Antonio, Texas

Any interest in visiting a haunted city? Try checking out San Antonio, Texas.  Here you will find Guided Ghost Tours, and some of the most haunted hotels in the United States.  Not everything about San Antonio has to be scary though. It’s a beautiful, warm town, with river walks, trendy shops, and plenty of foodie eateries along its streets. They even have a venue called the Natural Bridge Caverns, which will provide you with plenty of adventure, since they provide caving, hiking trails, and even zip-lining!

West Coast

Lake Tahoe, California

If you’re interested in outdoor recreational activities, Lake Tahoe is the place for you.  With unforgettable snow slopes and beautiful landscapes, Lake Tahoe has plenty of resorts designed for those with an interest in skiing, snowboarding, biking, hiking, and many other activities.  This area draws many young people and families, and is guaranteed to be an awesome and very different experience!

Sources:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Destinations-cTop-g191

http://www.travelchannel.com/interests/budget/articles/spring-break-last-minute

http://education.nationalgeographic.org/maps/united-states-regions/