Career > Money

Is it Worth it to work a Minimum Wage Job in College?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Going to school in Pennsylvania, working is a lot different than in my home state, New York, where the minimum wage is significantly higher. Full discretion, I do get paid a few dollars more than the minimum wage in PA, but it still doesn’t come close to what I was being paid at my entry level, part time job in NY. 

I’ve asked myself so many times if it’s even worth the money in the first place, but everytime I come back to the same conclusion: yes, it is definitely worth it. Even if it’s $30 or $40 dollars a week, I think it creates a really nice cushion to my suffering bank account.

College is expensive, not just talking about tuition, but there are quite a few expenses that you have to consider. Having to pay for gas, outside food, and just other things that you’re going to need at some point all add up, and in the end, it isn’t cheap. 

I work two jobs on campus and I’ve honestly had great experiences with both of them. I’ve met so many great people and I’ve also picked up some skills that I know will help me in the workforce after I graduate. On top of that, money is money, and even getting $100 for a 2 week pay period is really nice to have in my bank account and know that I can spend a little bit on myself (which is almost always going out to buy a sweet treat). 

Even with minimum wage part time jobs on campus, I still feel like I have an income that I can depend on when I need to buy something. I’ve been trying to remind myself that I can also spend some on myself, which is hard because I’d rather save my money than spend it. 

I think in the end, working is good for other things besides an income. Like I said before, I’ve built genuine relationships with coworkers and have learned so many skills (teamwork, responsibility, accountability, social skills, decision making, leadership skills, etc.) that I wouldn’t have without my jobs. It gives my day structure, which is really nice as a type A person and I can make a few extra bucks by working jobs I actually enjoy. 

The important thing to remember is that I’m earning more than just money when I’m working. So, yes, it is absolutely worth the time to work. I would absolutely recommend working on or around campus even if you earn a low wage, it has benefits that supersede money and it’s a great way to develop skills and relationships.

Abby Hausner

Bucknell '26

Abby is currently a sophomore at Bucknell, double majoring in Economics and Political Science. In her free time, she loves to hang out with friends, enjoy a cup of coffee, read, and bake!