Internship Spotlight

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

While it’s freezing outside and the sidewalks are covered in snow, it’s about that time of year to start thinking about what you are going to be doing this summer. Although most collegiettes spend the summer working at an internship or a job, deciding what to do or where to work can be daunting. This article features internship experiences of four Bucknell students with different majors and interests. Our highlighted collegiettes share advice on how to find internships, what to expect, and how to ace an interview.

Name: Katy Thompson ’17

Major: Economics and Political Science

Internship: Congressional Committee on Foreign Affairs in Washington, D.C.

What were some of the things you did daily?

I sat in on hearings and markups for the committee and helped with member services. I researched and wrote a committee comprehensive memo on Bangladesh working commissions. I also analyzed the number of bills passed by the committee and house floor to help the leadership know where bills were in terms of the legislative process.

How did this experience shape your academic endeavors?

It definitely got me fascinated with the creation of policy and solidified my decision to be a double major in Poly Sci. and Econ. It also showed me that I want to live and work in Washington following my time at Bucknell.

Any advice for interviews?

Be yourself and do extensive research on the job that you are interviewing for- not just what the company is about, but also the company culture so you can suit your answers to that – and smile!

Name: Lauren Frei ’15

Major: Civil Engineering

Internship: Christopher B. Burke Engineering, just outside Chicago

What were typical days like at the firm?

For my first internship (I interned for water resources), I did a ton of computer work on Excel, GIS and basic calculations. I also looked up a ton of rain gauges online for flooding. For my second summer, I helped maintain and monitor restored prairies and wetlands.  

Best and worst part of your internship?

I interned there for two summers. The best part about my first summer was the knowledge and experience, but the environment was not the greatest because I was stuck inside all day. The best part about my second summer was that I worked with 2 other interns my age and we were able to do lots of field work.

Advice for Engineering majors looking into internships?

As for advice for Engineering majors looking into internships, I would definitely recommend reaching out to people. If someone says that they have a family friend or someone who you really don’t know who is an engineer and offers to give you their contact info, take them up on it.

Did your internship help shape your academic life at Bucknell?

Yes. My internship allowed me to see what it was like working for a small engineering firm, and from that I was able to determine what I liked best and what I liked least and determine what I want to do after college.

Name: Colette Macari ’17

Major: Interdisciplinary Study of Math and Economics

Internship: Martha Stewart Wedding in New York City

What was your experience like interning for Martha Stewart Wedding?

It was an amazing experience, I learned a lot and worked on a handful of projects that really made my internship more than just about weddings. Interning at Martha Stewart is an experience unlike any other because everyone there is so creative and passionate about their work.

As a math major, what sparked the interest in wedding planning?

I’ve always been really interested in event planning, specifically weddings. My mom is a buyer for a gift store and she’s always done super cute, whimsical party favors and decorations for my parties when I was younger so I was really influenced by that and by her. I started planning my own parties when I was 10 and really haven’t stopped since. It was totally unrelated to my major but it’s definitely what I plan on doing with my life.

What was your favorite thing you did?

My favorite thing I did was working on the Tiler Peck, Robbie Fairchild wedding. It’s in the current issue of Martha Stewart Weddings. They’re both principal dancers in the New York City Ballet. It was just a beautiful wedding and I’m so happy that I got to work on it.

Name: Lexi Karpuck ‘17

Major: Accounting

Internship: Turlington, Reeves and Orlando CPA firm in Houston, Texas

How did you get involved where you work?

I was friends with the owner’s daughter on my swim team and was offered the job as a senior in high school, and I have been working there ever since. Take advantage of your connections!

Any advice for recruiters?

You need to keep track the names of the firms, as an accounting major. The accounting track is a very predictable route. Once you have an interview your sophomore year you are pretty set. Some of the major ones are Deloitte, PwC, McGladrey and KPMG and keep an eye out for recruiting opportunities. Accounting majors typically intern and then are offered a full time position.

Emma Sheehy is a senior English major at Bucknell University. Now washed up, she can be seen running around Lewisburg, people watching on the first floor of the library and drinking wine in her apartment. She prefers to send snail mail, call people rather than text (to the dismay of her friends) and loves nighttime walks. To see more of her "stuff" check out her personal blog on life at Bucknell at http://www.emmasheehy.com.
Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com