Influential Black Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

As we celebrate Black History Month, it is important to reflect on the people of color who have made tremendous strides in bettering our nation. We always hear about the Civil Rights Movements famously led by Martin Luther King and Malcolm X. It is also essential to celebrate the powerful black women who have not only made positive change in our country, but have been true inspirations for all people across the globe.

1. Fannie Lou Hamer was a Civil Rights leader who was passionate about organizing the Mississippi Freedom Summer for the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee. This specific project aimed at increasing the voter registration back in 1964.

2. Originally born into slavery, Ida B. Wells was a renowned journalist and sociologist who led an anti-lynching crusade in the 1890s. Wells voiced her beliefs about the injustice she faced everyday via the written word. She went on to advance in the field of journalism, becoming a publisher and owning the Memphis Free Speech and Headlight.

3. Born into slavery, Harriet Tubman found her way to freedom and became a leading abolitionist in the 1850s. Tubman helped thousands of slaves find a life of liberation by means of The Underground Railroad. Even after slavery was abolished, Tubman dedicated her life to helping former impoverished and elderly slaves by opening up a home for the elderly, in which she spent her time tending to those in need.

4. With over 30 bestselling titles, Maya Angelou is one of the most influential names for writers everywhere. After experience as a journalist along with various other occupations in her young adult life, Angelou became a poet and writer, going on to win numerous awards and 50 honorary degrees. She is known for her resiliency in overcoming hardships and racism in Missouri.

5. For the Scandal and Grey’s Anatomy fanatics out there, you can thank genius Shonda Rhimes, television producer, screenwriter, and author for creating and writing the popular shows that grace our television screens every Thursday night. Rhimes is also the executive producer of ABC television series How to Get Away With Murder and The Catch.

6. In 1992, Mae Jemison was the first black woman to venture into space when she embarked on the Space Shuttle Endeavor with NASA. Aside from being a NASA astronaut, Jemison is an engineer and physician. In 1993, Jemison founded a company dedicated to researching technology and its application to everyday life.

7. Condoleezza Rice is a political scientist and diplomat. Rice is the first black woman to serve as our country’s national security adviser, as well as the first black woman to serve as U.S. Secretary of State during the Bush administration.

8. Former first lady, Michelle Obama was the first black woman to live and serve as First Lady in the White House. There were so many ways that Michelle contributed to bettering our nation during the Obama administration. In an attempt to face the struggle of childhood obesity, she created “Let’s Move!” a movement aimed at providing healthier food in schools, helping children become more active and giving parents the tools they need to lead exemplary, healthy lifestyles for their children.

9. A member of the Fierce Five, Gabby Douglas was the first African American to win an individual all-around event at the Olympic games. In the 2012 games, Douglas graced her team with two gold medals. This girl is definitely on fire.

10. Beyoncé. No explanation needed. #slayqueen

Grace Filer

Bucknell '20

Grace is a writer for Her Campus Bucknell. Previously, Grace was a writer for her town's newsmagazine, The Daisy Field Life. Her work has also been published in a series of The Best Nonfiction by of 2016 from her high school. Being a first year student at Bucknell, Grace feels lucky to be apart of the Her Campus community, and can't wait to begin writing for the women of Bucknell's campus.
What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.