The Importance of Advocating for Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

You’re standing across from your boss, elder, professor or co-worker and they say something you don’t agree with, something that offends you or maybe something that just makes you uncomfortable. What do you do? Stay calm and walk away while thinking to yourself that you should have spoken your mind when you had the chance? It’s safe to say, we’ve all been there.

Self-advocacy: a term that has become of an increasingly important skill-set to possess amongst the young women of our generation. There are some people in this world who were born with the natural ability to speak, and act effortlessly on their own behalf. However, advocating for yourself can be a daunting and uncomfortable task to many young citizens of our generation.

But, why?

Despite all the progress our generation has made towards equalizing the genders, it isn’t new knowledge that we live in a society where women are expected to be more modest and more subdued than men. However, as the young, influential women we are, it is upon us to take charge and change this stereotype.

We can’t allow our fear of self-advocating to consume what really matters: being ourselves! In order to be the confident and kick a** women we are, we need to feel it internally so that it’s shown to the rest of the world.

The first step: teach the younger generation, your peers and yourself the importance of advocating for YOU!!

Know your rights, assert yourself, be persistent, make decisions and believe in YOU.

Always remind yourself that you are strong and capable. Keep speaking loud and speaking proud!

Jenna Kline- PR/Event Intern/Sorority Representative Jenna is a sophomore majoring in Public Relations and minoring in business and leadership. She is the PR/Event Intern as well as the Alpha Epsilon Phi Sorority Representative for Her Campus UFL. She is very excited and enthusiastic about being involved with this organization as this is her first year working with Her Campus UFL. She is also a sister of Alpha Epsilon Phi, and she is involved with Student Government Productions. She loves to spend time with her family, play basketball, hang out with her sorority sisters, cheer on the Gators, and be a dedicated Miami Heat fan.