This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

College can be a lonely place. It may seem like everyone has friends, a place where they belong, and that they found these without trying. The majority of time this is not true. Many people meet at events, activities, and clubs. Below are some great ways to get involved on campus, make friends, and better yet- none of them require anxiety-inducing moves like striking up a conversation with a stranger!

1. Join a club sport

Club sports are a great way to continue playing a sport you did in high school without the varsity commitment. They even usually accept players that are new to the sport, allowing you to try out something you always wanted to but never got around to it. Club sports are a great opportunity for bonding with others over a shared interest that doesn’t require uncomfortable introductions or conversations. The bond will naturally grow over time as you develop a sense of family as a team. 

1. Join a residential college

Bucknell has residential colleges that cater to multiple areas of interest including food, global affairs, social justice, farming, technology, science, and other areas. You live with members of your residential college and go to a class about the subject area together. While a residential college may sound boring, I met many friends from my residential college because we were spending so much time together and we even got to take an expenses-paid trip to NYC together. I also met my freshman year roommate who is still my best friend. I highly recommend joining one so you can meet people with similar interests and get a roommate who has interests that are like yours! You can even join one sophomore year if you missed the opportunity the first time around. 

1. Join a club

I know you were probably lamenting seeing “join a club” since it is so commonly said. However, I wanted to include it because it is true, however, with a caveat. If you are joining solely to make friends, investigate clubs about common interests like a journalism club, an acapella group, or an improv group instead of clubs that are more geared towards academics like an entrepreneurs club. Definitely still join those more academically inclined clubs if they meet your goals, but clubs that are geared more towards leisure activities and hobbies are where you are more likely to meet people who share your interests and want to make friends as well. These clubs will also have a more social feeling to them and allow club members to get to know each other in a less-intense environment.

1. Join a Greek organization

Bucknell has 7 Panhellenic organizations and 2 Pan-Hellenic organizations. While I know you are saying, “Kendall you said I wouldn’t have to do anything that requires an uncomfortable conversation,” listen to me when I say you don’t have to. Greek organization members are trained in how to have comfortable, flowing conversations during their intake processes. When the conversation hits a lull, they know how to bring it back- making it unlikely you will have many awkward conversations. I recommend Greek life because you are screened prior to joining the organization to make sure it is a good fit for you and that you will get along with the members. This takes a lot of the work of searching for opportunities that fit your interests out of your hands. You will soon have many friends not only in your pledge class, but in other grades. There will also be an abundance of activities you can participate in to keep you busy on campus.

1. Sit in your common room 

This one might sound silly but it is a great way to make friends. Some of my best memories freshman year were sitting in my common room with other people in my hall doing homework. Bring your laptop and your homework and start studying and it is highly likely someone will join you. You could even ask your roommate to come to make people feel more comfortable to come and join in. Maybe even start a movie in the common room, or bring food for the hall to share. It is a great space and if you utilize it for what it was meant for you will meet people in your hall and strike up great friendships in no time.

1. Join a group catered to your social identity

There are many groups on Bucknell’s campus that provide a safe space for people with a shared identity to meet together. These groups include, but are not limited to, South Asian Student Association, Black Student Union, Gender and Sexuality Alliance, The Women’s Network, Hillel House, Catholic Campus Ministry,  and African Student Association. Here you will meet people with similar life experiences, have the opportunity to attain a leadership position, go to/organize activities, and do many other things. These groups also have an important role in positively influencing campus culture. If you are looking for a welcoming place, this is it. 

I hope these tips reduce the stress of making friends in adulthood. There is always time to meet people that will enhance your college experience and try something new.

Hi, I'm Kendall Garnett and I am a senior Biology and Spanish major at Bucknell University. I am also one of two Campus Correspondents/Chapter leaders for HerCampus Bucknell. When I am not busy researching the next big pandemic I like to write culture and entertainment pieces.