13 going on 30 closet?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
13 going on 30 closet?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Columbia Pictures / Revolution Studios

How to Do What Makes YOU Happy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

“Start doing what makes you happy” – Pete Davidson

This semester, Pete Davidson paid a spectacular visit to Bucknell University and had a Q&A which has really stuck in my memory. At the end of his talk, he shared with everyone one of his ways of life: He does what makes him happy. His actions, no matter what people think, are what help him to feel good and create a positive mindset. His words have helped to leave a lasting impact on my life as well, and I’m here to share with you just how to make this your reality as well.

My semester began quite differently from the others I’ve had in my 2 years of college. If I’m being honest, I didn’t feel quite as happy as I should have. My goal was to make new friends and create new memories that would last a lifetime, but, as is life, there were some slight roadblocks that got in my way. These setbacks were bringing me down and I wasn’t sure exactly how to prevent them. It wasn’t until I went to Pete Davidson’s talk, that I attempted to change my mindset. 

In order to do what makes you happy, there are a few things that have to be completed. The first one is to stop and think. What exactly is it that’s bringing you down? Friends? Stress? Lack of sleep? Whatever it is, stop and take time to reflect on it. Only through this reflection can you learn how to make things better. To add, there are definitely things in life that are out of our control, but that can’t stop you from finding alternative ways to brighten your mood. Here’s a few things that I’ve found can be helpful when it comes to doing what makes me happy (and maybe they can be helpful to you too)!

Say ‘yes!’ to new opportunities: If someone asks you to hang out or you have the opportunity to try something new, take it! One thing to remember is that trying something new can lead to memorable moments, new friendships, and more. 

Meet new people: If your friends happen to be a factor in what may be bringing you down, then it’s time to venture out. It may feel awkward at first, but it’s never too late to reach out to someone in life. Maybe it could be a fellow classmate or a friend of a friend. Most people are a lot more welcoming than you may expect, so don’t waste time!

Find something that clears your mind: Every day that’s nice out (even if it’s kind of chilly) I try to sit and watch the sunset as a nice little break from everything else going on in life. Finding something simple like this is a great way to relax and clear your mind from any stresses, in turn boosting your mood! 

Doing simple things to make you happy can honestly change your life for the better. Sure, there will be moments when making choices can be difficult or you’re stuck between a rock and a hard place, but sometimes the choice needs to come down to your happiness. I’ll leave you with this quote as I find it helps to portray the message I’m sending to you: “ Do not set aside your happiness. Do not wait to be happy in the future. The best time to be happy is always now.” – Roy T. Bennett

Olivia is a Computer Science major at Bucknell. Aside from her love of the sciences, she has a strong appreciation for the arts, literature, and writing.