Lindsay Thompson-Miami Laundry Posing Vintage Pensive
Lindsay Thompson / Her Campus

How to Survive the Bucknell Laundry Rooms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Laundry Day. Whether it’s Sunday or a random weeknight at 11 p.m., we all have those days where we can’t avoid the overwhelming pile of clothes sitting in the back of our rooms. From the pounds of dirt on your black jeans or the beer stains on your new white shirt, we all know when it’s time to grab a tide pod and head on down to the depths of hell.

The laundry room is its own kind of monster. From someone stealing your brand new workout top (this happened to me just last week) or taking your clothes out of the machine when they just finished washing only thirty seconds ago, the laundry room can be a scary experience, to say the least. Here are some tips to help get you through:

1. Go during the day. While you may think no one else is going to do laundry that late at night, you are probably wrong because everyone else is thinking the same thing. Going around 12-3 p.m. is usually your best bet because most people are in classes.

2. If you know you are going to be out when your laundry is done, make sure you contact a friend to get it out of the washer or dryer for you! Nothing is worse than having someone you do not know take your clothes out of the machines. This makes it more likely for things to get lost or stolen!

3. If you have time, fold clothes while in the laundry room. This is the best tip when you are trying to avoid having things stolen or lost. By folding everything right there you can make sure each sock has its match and you didn’t leave your new leggings in the dryer!

4. If a dryer did not do a good job of drying your clothes the first time, that wasn’t just bad luck, it is just a broken dryer. DO NOT USE IT AGAIN. You are going to waste so much time and money on buying extra dry cycles when you are better off waiting for a better dryer to become open.

5. ALWAYS set alarms for when your washer or dryer will be done. This ensures that someone else will not take your clothes out or steal anything from your load. It also prevents you from getting death glares when you walk down to the laundry room when someone is waiting to use your machine and you are fifteen minutes late.

Put your headphones in and stroll on down to the laundry room because it’s truly not all that bad. Well, as long as that one person who spilled their drink on you isn’t in there at the same time and you are forced to make eye contact with them as you put your new stained white shirt in the wash. Best of Luck!

Isobel Lloyd

Bucknell '21

New York ~ Bucknell