How to Get Out of Your Room When Stuck On Zoom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Lockdowns during the school year can be hard for a variety of reasons. It’s difficult, especially in the winter, to not be able to see your friends or do as many outside activities as you once may have been able to. You may even find yourself staring at a computer screen all day long (quite possibly on your bed, like me) in order to attend class, complete homework assignments, or even just unwind with a TV show. While this may seem like the dream to some, this basic routine can get very boring very quickly. Try a few of these tips to get out of your room and freshen up your routine!

Exercise the Zoom away:

One of the greatest ways to motivate yourself to get out of bed is to go exercise! This way, you can be both productive and healthy at the same time — plus you’ll even feel more energized after. On campus, you could go on a walk either by yourself or with friends. There are a few great (and scenic!) areas to walk nearby, such as the road along the Bucknell Golf Course, the Rail Trail, or even just around the quad. If walking a far distance isn’t your thing, you could always get a workout in at the fitness center. The fitness center offers tons of great workout classes, and even yoga. Just be sure to sign up online first, and wear a mask! 

Extend your errands:

If you already have items to check off on your to-do list, try extending that time and make it fun! A great way to do this is to walk into town to pick up any items you need. Within walking distance from campus is the bookstore to pick up any textbooks and plenty of restaurants to order take-out from. You can even support small businesses at the same time! Even if you don’t have anything to do, there are a few great parks as well that are great for just sitting around or catching up on last minute homework. 

Get outside:

Even after you’ve completed all your tasks for the week, there are still ways you can have fun outside your room. Although most of it is melting on campus, some hills still have plenty of snow covering them — take in the last few weeks of winter by going sledding! This is an activity you could do with friends, or even by yourself if you’re feeling brave. If exerting yourself in the snow isn’t for you, another alternative is to simply quad-sit for a few hours and people-watch! The warmer weather in the past few days is perfect for watching the sunset as well. If you want to get off campus for a bit, going for a drive along the backroads and blasting music can make for a fun day too. There are even some spots along the road that would be perfect for a photoshoot. 

Overall, there are countless ways for you to get off your screen during this time of Zoom. Just be creative and have fun with whatever you choose!

Kelty is a third-year writer at Bucknell from Wayne, PA
Isobel Lloyd

Bucknell '21

New York ~ Bucknell