How to Dress for the Cold

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Say goodbye your sundresses, shorts and sandals for the next few months. It’s time to break out your boots, parkas and scarves because unfortunately, the cold weather months have arrived.  Ever stand in front of your closet and be at a loss for what you’re going to wear in order to brave the emerging chilly weather?  You might feel like it’s a waste to look chic when a big jacket is going to cover it up when you walk outside, but these tips will help you look stylish, while feeling warm at the same time!

Layer, Layer, Layer

This may be an obvious one, but layers really help when the temperature starts dropping, and it can really bring an outfit together as well.  A go-to layering combination is a cute blouse, such as a denim shirt or a simple button up, and a big comfy sweater.  If it starts to warm up during the day, you can take the sweater off, and if it remains cold, you can keep it on to stay warm.  Either way, layering allows you to not be too hot or too cold during the day.

Accessorize

Cold weather isn’t all negative because it allows us to accessorize our outfits with cute accessories.  Accessories such as scarves and hats can bring a blah outfit to something completely different.  Whether it is an infinity scarf or a big comfy one, a scarf can bring an outfit together while warming you up at the same time.  In terms of a hat, something like a cute gray or neutral beanie keeps your head warm, and can always cure a bad hair day! 

Fur Vest

A staple for every chic girl’s closet for the fall and winter months is a fur vest.  Although cute fur vests can get expensive, it’s always a good investment for dressing up any outfit.  Fur vests can come in several different styles and colors, but I’d stick to the gray, brown, and neutral colors that can match any dress or a cute top and jeans. 

Cute Jacket

While it may not be time to break out your big puffy parka just yet, a light, cute coat can keep you warm while also bringing your outfit together without looking like an Eskimo.  Quilted coats, peacoats, and Barbour jackets are classic, fashionable pieces that come in the perfect colors for the cold fall months. They’re not too heavy, and they are perfect for the encroaching bitter cold. 

So start digging out those big sweaters and your collection of scarves to prepare for the new, chilly weather.  Follow these tips and you can be on your way to being the warmest and most fashionable girl on campus.  Just because the temperature is dropping doesn’t mean your fashion sense has to, too!

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com