How to boost your energy levels (without caffeine!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

It’s that time of the semester when everyone’s energy levels are crashing. Work is piling up, the Bucknell plague is lingering among campus, and the winter blues are creeping in as the sun sets before 5 PM. Here’s how to stay energized sans the coffee overload:

1. Exercise is Key

#MajorKey to boost energy levels and reduce fatigue throughout the day is through exercise. Exercising enhances blood flow by carrying oxygen and nutrients to the muscle tissue, improving the ability to produce energy. If you aren’t one to hit the gym, try going for a 10 minute walk with a friend. Increasing physical activity in any shape or form will boost your energy and lift your mood.

2. Reduce Sugar Intake

Eating too much sugar leads to blood sugar swings that negatively affect energy levels. Consuming sugar might lead to an immediate spike in blood sugar, but that’s quickly followed by a rapid drop that can leave one feeling fatigued and wiped out.

3. Stimulate Your Brain With a Puzzle

Your brain gets slow and lethargic from too much routine. Mix things up and stimulate brain activity by engaging in a brain-teaser such as a crossword puzzle or a game of sudoku. Brain exercise can improve mood, increase productivity, and lead to better memory. Get those cognitive juices flowing.

4. Meditate

Contrary to popular belief, meditation is an effective way to increase energy levels. Individuals can neutralize cortisol levels, the chemical in our brains that makes us feel sluggish and tired, through meditation. Meditation can reduce the amount of cortisol in the body by 50%. Meditation can also boost melatonin by at least 98%, which can also lead to better sleep cycles.

5. Jam to your Favorite Music

You know that indescribable feeling you get when your favorite song comes on in the car? That’s the power of music. Listening to your favorite tunes can undoubtedly lift you up after a long day. There’s just something about hearing a favorite beat and singing along to lyrics that definitely increases energy levels.

6. Socialize

If you feel tired and sluggish, it might be helpful to take a break from whatever you are doing and talk to some friends. Taking a break in some way, shape or form will ultimately increase productivity. Laughing helps too, as it can provide you with a full body-wake up that releases feel-good brain chemicals and boosts oxygen levels.