freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Be More in Control of Your Sex/Love Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

For some girls, sex is casual and light hearted, and for others, it can symbolize a relationship getting more serious and a commitment being made. Maybe the idea of sex and intimacy with your partner scares you, because then comes that dreaded next question: “so, what does this mean?” No one interpretation of sex is “wrong” or “right”, but when you and your partner are not on the same page about what your relationship means, is when people can start to get hurt. There can be something extremely intimidating about being vulnerable with a person, either emotionally and/or physically, and not knowing the extent in which this is valued by your partner.

Whether you are a virgin, have had one partner or fifteen, each time you are intimate with someone, it could mean something different to you than the last, or the next. THIS IS OKAY! You are totally allowed to meet someone and have sex with them that same night and expect it to end there, just like you are also allowed to meet someone you really like, and expect that sex with them will mean more. Just make sure you are communicating those intentions so that neither you nor your partner have different expectations.

So, all this to say, there is no magical way to ensure that you won’t get hurt when you begin a relationship with someone. But, defining what your values are, and making those clear to your partner is the best way to figure out if they can give you what you need out of the relationship, and protect your heart. But if they can’t, just remember that no matter how much you think you might like somebody, if you’re not on the same page, there is an 100% change that there’s someone better out there for you. So never lose sight of what you deserve, and if you want that ~Disney Channel~ happy ending, don’t settle for anything less.

Olivia is a junior writer and VP Tech for Her Campus Bucknell. She loves being on the Her Campus team because it's a unique platform for college women to support one another. Outside of Her Campus, Olivia is obsessed with her Westie, a lover of all things coral, and a muffin fanatic.