House Party Weekend: A Letter from Seniors to Freshmen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

It’s that time of year, the one you’ve been hearing all about since orientation. You may not be sure what to expect – when we were in your shoes, we didn’t either. In the hope that you’ll have a House Party experience that totally rocks your world, our senior staff writers would like to share some thoughts and tips with all of our lovely freshmen readers.

It’s a Marathon, Not a Sprint

First things first: pace yourself. We’ve all heard the adage: it’s a marathon, not a sprint – it couldn’t be more true. Making a conscious effort to pace yourself will make your weekend all the more enjoyable. Yes, taking shots before your 8 a.m. on Friday might sound awesome now, but you’ll probably regret it. It is a long weekend of festivities. If you want to get the most out of your first HPW, you need to slow it down, drink a lot of water, and eat as much as possible throughout the days. Speaking of food, make sure you capitalize on all the free food offered to you throughout the weekend. Usually, the deans and various professors hand out hot dogs and hamburgers from a food cart, which is pretty entertaining. Not all professors are pro-HPW… in fact, many of them are very against it, so try not to talk about it or blatantly blow off class this week in honor of the weekend’s activities. Most of them don’t care, and if your professor happens to notice that you’re drunk in class, bad things will happen. Be subtle.

Go Outside Your Comfort Zone

When you’re deciding where to go this weekend, try to switch it up a little. All of the fraternities have great stuff planned, so try to go places you might not have considered going, or places you’ve never been before – House Party is the perfect time to check them out. Don’t miss the live cover bands; you can always go to a DJed register in a frat basement, but it’s not every day that you can enjoy a live band during the daytime in Phi Psi’s backyard. Campus Vinyl should have a list of what bands are playing where and when, but the include the likes of Shwayze, 3LAU, and Mike Jones.

Be Smart

If the weather is nice (or even if it isn’t), you should be able to find a Super Friday downtown easily. If you go downtown, be smart! Lewisburg Police know about House Party and unlike P-Safe, may actively be trying to give out citations. Just keep yourself at a controlled level – getting busted on House Party Weekend will ruin your good time way after the festivities have ended. Also, if you have friends coming, you need to make sure you know they’re okay at all times. It may seem like common sense, but especially on House Party, phones get lost and people lose each other. If your friend gets in trouble, you get in trouble – no one wants that.

Remember to Take Breaks

When you’re transitioning from day/night, rallying may seem next to impossible. If you choose to nap, try not to nap for too long – otherwise, evening festivities may turn out to be a lost cause. Breaks, however, are very necessary. If you try to stay out and about all day without taking an hour or two to relax, you’ll be out of commission by Saturday evening, and that’s when the really fun stuff begins.

It’s Not Spring Yet!

In terms of clothes, it really depends on the weather, but Saturday during the day, girls usually wear sundresses and jackets. It’s sort of a tradition, but don’t feel obligated, especially if it’s chilly. Basically, just try to look cute. You’ll probably be posing for a lot of pictures. Definitely break out your shades if it’s sunny. At night, wear whatever – the parties don’t have themes, so just go have fun.

The Bucknellian usually puts out a House Party Weekend edition with a schedule of events – definitely pick up a copy, it’s very useful. Most of all, just have fun, be safe, and be smart. As seniors, this will be our last – from us to you, Happy House Party! May the odds be ever in your favor.

Sarah Dubow graduated from school in 2013 and is a Digital Strategist at Marina Maher Communications in New York City. After serving as Campus Correspondent at Bucknell University, she is so excited to continue being a part of the Her Campus team! Besides traversing the city and trying to figure out what being a "real person" really means, Sarah loves long walks on the beach, sipping pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain (kidding!). Real favorites include traveling, writing, kickboxing, and making up ridiculous lyrics to the latest songs. She absolutely loves anything that involves cupcakes, butterflies, glitter, and anything Parisian and specializes in baking with far too much chocolate and obsessively watching shows bound to be cancelled after the first season. Though the long term path for this post-grad collegiette remains unclear, she's looking forward to all the new 20-something adventures that await her!