The Hidden Gems of Bucknell’s Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Every Bucknellian can agree with the following statement: we live in a bubble. Tucked into the heart of middle-of-no-where Lewisburg it often feels as if our campus exists as its own world separate from the rest of reality. While our little world is undoubtedly a very fun place it be, it is also very easy to fall into a ~simple~ lifestyle. These hidden gems are for those moments when you want to break out of your common day-to-day cycle and find some new spots within the bubble. 

For studious students in need of a new study spot

Imagine this: it’s midterm season and you’ve been sitting at the same table in the library for the past four hours… your brain is starting to buzz from the deafening silence and your eyelids are starting to get heavy… the Bertrand vibe just isn’t doing it anymore and these new study spots are just what you need to ace your finals! 

• Carnegie – The entire main floor of this building is a common space filled with chestnut colored wooden tables and chairs that give it the perfect ~aesthetic~ for quiet studying or essay writing in the presence of other focused students. There are also four private rooms upstairs with white boards and tables, if you’re lucky enough to snag one. 

• Roberts & Smith – While both of these are residential buildings, they both house various types of private rooms that are perfect for group projects or study-sessions. 

• Academic East & West – Being the newest academic buildings on campus, they have both classrooms and study rooms with the nicest facilities and amenities. You can make use of the larger rooms, whiteboards, and comfy couches to enhance your grind-time.  

For the literature nerds looking for a place to write

• Hildreth Mirza – This building houses the Humanities Center here on campus, and it is full of features that are bound to get the ink in your pen flowing (or the letters on your keyboard going). From the tables in the Shakespeare Garden to the room with floor to ceiling bookshelves on all four walls, each spot is full of inspiration.  

• Willard Smith Library – This little library is hidden away in the Vaughn Literature Building and embodies the look of old school libraries. Shelves filled with dusty books create little nooks that most students don’t know about. 

For the gym rats who need a little extra motivation 

When the temperature drops and our beautiful campus is covered in snow, going to the gym seems nearly impossible. Whether you have a car on campus or not, a little extra motivation might be necessary to keep your future summer body in mind. 

• Sauna & Steam Room – Sitting in either of these after a workout is the perfect way to relax your muscles as well as your mind. Just like the gym itself, if you find the right time to go you might even be able to enjoy them to yourself. 

For everyone who’s starting to get a little tired of eating the same meals

• The Commons Café – While this spot is not necessarily hidden, it is absolutely worth the hype. From the notorious salads to the build-your-own burgers to the mozzarella sticks that never disappoint, the Commons is always a hit and never a miss. They even have a new sushi bar as well as a market-type section where you can purchase any of your favorite snacks. 

Nicole Yeager

Bucknell '22

Nicole is a senior writer majoring in Literary Studies and Psychology with minors in Arts Entrepreneurship and Social Justice. She spends most of her time on campus finding new places to read, drinking vanilla lattes, and sending emails. She believes HerCampus is a great platform for college women to express their unique thoughts and experiences in a fun way.
Isobel Lloyd

Bucknell '21

New York ~ Bucknell