Her Campus Girl Crush: Amarachi Ekekwe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

The Basics

Hometown: Upper Marlboro, Maryland

Class Year: 2018

Major: Psychology and Women’s & Gender Studies

Your favorite…

Class at Bucknell: Social Justice Dialogues

Place on campus: Anywhere that’s warm 

Bucknell memory: Posse Plus Retreat

Place you’ve ever been: Nigeria

Book: To Kill a Mockingbird

Movie: Cheetah Girls One

Song: Million Bucks by Maino ft. Swizz Beatz

Food: Fried Chicken and Mac and Cheese

Tell us about yourself. What are you involved in on campus? What do you like to do for fun?

• I am a member of Delta Gamma, the Black Student Union, Bucknell Africa Student Association, the Community Conduct Board, and a Tour Guide for Admissions.
  • For fun I like to: EAT, play basketball, crochet, talk to anyone honestly, watch TV.

Can you tell us about the research you did this summer?

• This summer, I looked at the perceptions of safety and violence on Bucknell’s campus through the eyes of Black Women. In addition to a 15-item questionnaire, my participants completed a cognitive mapping exercise in which they mapped positive and negative attributions they had about Bucknell. I knew that I was going to enjoy doing this research but I didn’t realize how much of an impact it would have on campus. Through my research, many changes have been made on campus and I have been able to share my findings with a wide variety of people. 

Where did you study abroad? What was that experience like?

• This past summer, I was able to study abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark for 3 weeks with Professor Boyatzis and other Bucknell students. The experience was AMAZING and even though it was only 3 weeks, I felt like I was able to learn so much about Denmark as well as myself. Interacting with Danes was something I enjoyed the most. Their happiness and love for life defiantly resonated with me and made me want to be as happy as they were. Also, interacting with kids at the Bornehaven (their form of preschool) was a humbling experience that I wouldn’t have wanted to change for the world.

It’s no secret that you have stellar outlook on life. Do you live by any mottos or mantras?

• One of my favorite quotes is, “Why fit in when you were born to stand out?” by Dr. Seuss. I truly believe that everyone was put onto this earth to be THEMSELVES and no one else. I find beauty in understanding and learning how people are different and I despise when people strive to fit into a cookie cutter mold. Being yourself and being unique is better than trying to be like someone else.

What’s one thing you wish you could tell your first-year self?

• Some people come into your life for a season, and some come to weather the storm. It’s ok to not know which is which until later on in your life.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

I want to have a family and children, perhaps 7, perhaps 5, perhaps 1. Career wise, I want to have my own television show. I have been told that I should be on the big screen and I agree. I also want to be a Dean at a college or university. Honestly, my career path changes every 15 ½ hours so ask me again in 15 ½ hour

What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.