This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Let me guess. You looked out your window, saw a beautiful blue sky on a bright sunny day and put on the perfect outfit. So excited to show off to the world your extreme skills at creating this amazing ensemble, your dreams get dashed when you realize it’s actually 90 degrees with 60% humidity and your outfit is now soaked in sweat. So much for cute, right?

Well, fear no more collegiates! I have some advice for dressing chic in the heat. Twenty-two years of living below the Mason-Dixon line has made me somewhat of an expert at dressing for humidity and sunshine.

The key to keep in mind while dressing for a hot day is to begin by examining what you’ll be doing. If you need an outfit to go to work or an internship in, make sure that you have the appropriate clothing. If you’re just going outside for the day, you can still take these fashion tips to heart.

If you’re going to be physically active, i.e. running, playing tennis, playing Frisbee, etc. make sure you’re wearing breathable fabrics that have sun protection in them to help aid your sunscreen.

For those of you with internships or jobs, it’s definitely time for you to think about fabric, shape and color. First of all, stick with white or light colored fabrics. There’s a reason that those “resort” collections are full of white; it reflects the heat keeping you cooler. Even pastels or light neutrals will work as long as they are on the lighter side of the spectrum.

Second, the fabrics you choose can either help or hurt you. That silky top might be great but silk retains moisture meaning unless you’re someone who doesn’t sweat (lucky you), you’ll start to show off your sweat the longer you’re wearing it. Stick with cottons, linens or even synthetic fabrics. Any fabric that breathes well and isn’t clingy on your skin.

On that same note, the shape of your clothes can help or hurt you in keeping cool. Loose fitting pants and a tank top make a great outfit that keeps you from feeling sweaty and sticky. You can also choose shorts and a flowy top. You just want to make sure that nothing is skin-tight or you will feel gross very quickly.

Now that you have your all-white outfit on and you feel like a big white marshmallow, you might be wondering how to add some pizzazz to this outfit. Accessories are your friend in the summer. Jazz up an outfit with bright shoes or a bright belt. If you can’t stand the thought of a necklace making you sweaty, try to find shirts that have embellishments already sewn onto the shirt. Or a light necklace can work as well. A cute headband can also help if you don’t have a massive amount of hair and cannot stand for it to be down.

With regard to hair, if you’re one of those lucky few who have curly hair or hair that responds at all to humidity, I salute you, my fellow collegiate. I, too, suffer in this regard. I can’t tell you how tempting it is to just chuck it all up into a messy bun everyday. While the messy bun is TOTALLY acceptable, occasionally it is nice to mix it up. If you’re feeling adventurous you should look up a tutorial on the sock bun which is not only a great way to curl your hair without heat but also a great way to keep your hair out of your way without trying too hard and looking very classic.

If you’re less inclined to try out something new, the ever-stylish French braid is also a great way to get hair off the neck and out of your face. Plus, it allows a more even part of your hair to receive those natural highlights (or if you put in less natural ones we won’t tell!)

When an actual heat wave occurs, it is always important to consider your outside activities and make sure that they are necessary due to the risk of heat exhaustion and other heat-related conditions. Plus, getting yourself a very chic reusable water bottle will always make you look great and super smart and hydrated! Stay cool, fellow collegiates!

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com