HC Girl Crush: Kelly McCrary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

The Basics:

Hometown: San Marino, CA

Year: Junior

Major: Early Childhood Education

Favorite…

Class at Bucknell: Multiculturalism and Education with Professor Fruja

Bucknell memory: Working with my friends to organize and lead the Bison Leadership, Involvement, and Connections Pre-Orientation Program (BLINC)

Place you’ve ever been: Copenhagen (where I studied abroad last fall!)

Book: All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

Movie: My top 3 faves are How to be Single, 13 Going on 30, and Bridesmaids

Song: This constantly changes. I have a pretty random taste in music but I  like a nice mixture of throwbacks and top hits.

Food: Grilled Cheese or Stir Fry

Favorite Place On Campus: The Quad or Olin (where I spend a lot of time for classes in my major)

Favorite Place to eat off campus: It’s tie between Siam and Ard’s.   

What are you involved in on campus?

I am involved in Spoon University, Bucknell Student Government, Greek Life, and I tutor through the Office of Civic Engagement.   

What has been one of the most rewarding experiences you’ve had here on campus?

Through many of my Early Childhood Education classes at Bucknell, I have had the opportunity to observe and student teach in classrooms in the area.  This semester, I am in a 2nd grade classroom every Tuesday and Thursday.  Getting to know the students and watching them learn and grow is by far the most rewarding experience I have had at Bucknell.   

What is some advice you could give underclassmen or future Bucknell students?

You don’t need to do everything, find activities and classes that you genuinely enjoy and focus on those things, you will feel more fulfilled by doing things you value.   

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

I can’t say exactly, but after I graduate I would like to go to Grad School to get my Master’s in Education, but then I would like to teach elementary school and work within my district to help other teachers to better differentiate to help support students learning English as their second language.     

3 fun facts about you:

1. I have two younger sisters.

2. When I was little I loved skunks.  

3. My guilty pleasure is reality TV and celebrity news.  

What do you think are important attributes in a strong female leader?

Willingness to make mistakes and collaborate, confidence, and respect.