HC Bucknell’s Women to Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

A new year means endless possibilities, and in particular, a whole new crop of women to watch! As we glide into February we wanted to feature some females that we think are going to do great things in 2013. Whether they rip up a ski slope, make you laugh ’til you cry, discover new concepts in science that will change the world or make you weak in the knees, there are a lot of ladies who will make headlines in 2013.

Our breakout women include:

1. Elizabeth Olsen—Yes, Mary-Kate and Ashley’s little sister. She is arguably more talented than her older twin sisters and is set to star in at least three movies this year, including the thriller “Oldboy,” which will be out in October.
  2. Anne McKee, Co-director of the Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy at Boston University—She is famous for her work with NFL, NHL and college athletes and their histories with concussions. She and her research team found the link between chronic traumatic encephalopathy (a degenerative brain disease linked to dementia and death) and concussions. Dr. McKee’s work is changing the way we all look at the games we love.
  3. Sheryl Sandberg—You usually hear about Mark Zuckerberg, but Sandberg is Facebook’s leading lady. She was recently named to Time’s list of the 100 most Influential People in the World. She has written a new book that will be out in March called Lean.
  4. Kate McKinnonAfter making her debut on “Saturday Night Live” about eight months ago, McKinnon is now rumored to become a staple on the set. She will join fellow SNL women Tina Fey and Kristen Wiig. She was also just named to Forbes’ “30 Under 30” list. Her hysterically accurate impression of Ellen DeGeneres is sure to make you laugh.
  5. Lindsey VonnShe’s blonde, beautiful and has a gold medal! Vonn is just getting warmed up though. She is one of five women to have won World Cup races in all of alpine skiing’s disciplines. She recently earned her 57th World Cup win—the second most in history. Expect more broken records to come in 2013.
  6. Maya Jane ColesRolling Stone called her one of the 25 DJs that rule the earth, and yes, she does! A major DJ in the underground Electronic/Dance scene for years, Coles is now entering the pop world. She will play at the Ultra music festival this spring, and she’s known for remixing huge artists like Florence & The Machine. Get ready for Coles to hit your iPod this year.
  7. Stephanie Horbaczewski , Founder and CEO of StyleHaul—She went from working in a clothing store while getting her MBA to Saks Fifth Avenue, and she is now flying solo. Partnering with YouTube, StyleHaul has over 1,270 fashion channels and attract 48 million unique viewers a month after raising $4.4 million in 2012. Horbaczewski plans to expland globally in 2013!
  8. Michelle Obama—If her education isn’t impressive enough, then her volunteerism sure is! After creating two amazing initiatives in her last term as First Lady, Let’s Move (solving childhood obesity) and Joining Forces (a service to benefit veterans and their families), she is determined to make her mark in her second term. We are excited to see what she will do in 2013.

Keep an eye out to see what these strong, determined women accomplish in the New Year. Don’t forget that YOU also can be a woman to watch out for in 2013. Don’t be afraid to dream big or set your mind to a seemingly impossible task. If you believe in yourself, others will believe in you too. Plus, you never know, what you do may just reserve you a spot on our 2014 list!

Good luck this semester ladies!

Devin is a sophomore at Bucknell University. She is intending to be a Markets, Innovation and Design major in the School of Management, and is also pursuing a minor in Creative Writing. She can be found giving tours around campus, doing homework on the quad, or dancing in her apartment with her friends. Devin also writes for the HC Bucknell chapter, and loves all things Her Campus! Outside of school and HC, she enjoys playing sports, reading, singing, and trying new foods. In fact, her life motto is "eat dessert first." Devin is very excited to be the Management Intern at HC headquarters in Boston this summer!
Sarah Dubow graduated from school in 2013 and is a Digital Strategist at Marina Maher Communications in New York City. After serving as Campus Correspondent at Bucknell University, she is so excited to continue being a part of the Her Campus team! Besides traversing the city and trying to figure out what being a "real person" really means, Sarah loves long walks on the beach, sipping pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain (kidding!). Real favorites include traveling, writing, kickboxing, and making up ridiculous lyrics to the latest songs. She absolutely loves anything that involves cupcakes, butterflies, glitter, and anything Parisian and specializes in baking with far too much chocolate and obsessively watching shows bound to be cancelled after the first season. Though the long term path for this post-grad collegiette remains unclear, she's looking forward to all the new 20-something adventures that await her!