Halsey Rocks the Stage With Her #MeToo Speech

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

In the wake of the rising movement against sexual assault in Hollywood, many artists and celebrities have spoken out in protest. Pop singer Halsey has been particularly vocal about this issue. In January, she spoke at the Women’s March in New York City, sharing a powerful original poem. She starts off by casually mentioning that she wrote this poem just the night before (which makes it even more incredible) and then goes on to share with the audience her brilliant piece. The poem addresses issues of sexual abuse that Halsey has faced in her life, to rally the crowd and demand a call for change.

Halsey’s poem also touches upon the recent scandal with Larry Nassar, former doctor of the USA Gymnastics national team. Nassar was recently found guilty of hundreds of counts of sexual abuse against his patients. Many gymnasts have stepped forward over the past month to tell their story of the horrible abuse Nassar had inflicted upon them.

The Nassar case is unfortunately similar to many other incidents of sexual abuse that have become visible in light of the #MeToo campaign. What was so moving about Halsey’s poem was that it included all races, genders, and identities. This inclusivity is something the Women’s March itself has been criticized for lacking. Sexual assault happens to individuals of all races, classes, and gender identities. Violence does not distinguish itself between social constructs; it affects us all.

It’s refreshing to see a celebrity going viral for something noteworthy rather than superficial. Our society rarely idolizes those who are brave enough to stand up and fight for what is right. But the time is now. Halsey, like many others, braved the stage to spread her words of wisdom to those who need to hear it most. Whether you are a survivor of abuse, know a survivor, or are simply a caring human being, this poem will invoke strong feelings of love and hope for you.

Please watch and share the video in this link! #MeToo