Habits to Keep and Habits to Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

The start of February seems to be the time when New Year’s resolutions seem like ancient history and our old ways keep resurfacing only to get us stuck in a rut. In order to avoid feeling like you’ve failed at 2012 already, take a look at some of your current habits that may be helpful in maintaining a healthy version of yourself along with some tips on how to drop the old habits that are dragging you down.

Habits to Keep

• Eating breakfast: we always hate to admit that mom is right, but this time it’s true. Eating breakfast starts your metabolism for the day and keeps you on a solid routine.
  • Taking a day off from the gym: studies say your body and muscles need time to rejuvenate from working out. Use this extra-unused gym hour doing something you love or never have time for.
  • Networking: This is especially important for all of us seniors. Networking can occur in any common place, on an airplane, at a career fair, with the parent of a friend. Do not be afraid to use your connections to help yourself out and reach out for a little boost in attaining an internship or job.

Habits to Drop

• Counting calories & skipping meals: eat what makes you feel good, don’t live by the numbers. Often times you’ll over or underestimate and that just will not end well for keeping a healthy diet.
  • Pulling all nighters : Procrastination comes easily to all of us, but everyone feels so much better when they’re on top of their homework. Make the extra effort to get your work done early, this way you can avoid the under eye puffiness and look refreshed!
  • Checking your cell phone during dinner : Seriously, its just rude. Whether you’re at a professional dinner or just hanging out with friends, talk to them not to your device. It makes your company feel insignificant and it is just downright disrespectful. 
Michelle Joline is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in Art History with minors in French and English (Creative Writing). Michelle is pursuing a career in broadcast media and entertainment, stemming off her long love of television and film. She is a co-founder and editor for Bucknell's branch of Her Campus and also spends her time as the Arts & Life editor of her school's newspaper, The Bucknellian. Michelle enjoys frozen yogurt, her golden retriever, New York City, movie trivia, and religiously reading The New York Times. She has been told her celebrity lookalike is none other than Michelle Tanner.