A Guide to Election Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

With Election Day right around the corner, it’s important to make sure you’re prepared to vote. HC Bucknell has made a quick guide to ensure you’re ready for the big day!

When is Election Day?

Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Rockthevote.com

Rockthevote.com will become your best friend. It is a great resource, having ultimately everything you’ll need for Election Day including: registration status, polling location, and ballot information.

Are You Registered?

You need to be registered in order to vote. You probably already know if you’re registered but if you forget or just want to double check, there are plenty of easy ways to check. You can use Rockthevote.com where a series of, “Are you registered” links will appear and take you in the right direction to input your information. You can also just Google, “am I registered to vote in (name your state)?” Plenty of links specific to your state will show up and take you to a website where you’ll input basic information to find out if you’re registered.

What to Bring

Identification requirements will vary by state. If you’re voting for the first time in Pennsylvania or in a different election district than the previous time you voted, you must provide one of the following forms of identification:

• Pennsylvania driver’s license or PennDOT ID Card
  • ID issued by any Commonwealth agency
  • ID issued by the U.S. Government
  • U.S. Passport
  • U.S. Armed Forces ID
  • Student ID with photograph
  • Employee ID with photograph

Voting Location

You can disregard this step if you filled out an absentee ballot, but make sure you submit your ballot before the deadline for your state though! (Deadlines can also be found on Rockthevote.com). Every person who is registered will have his or her own specific polling location. You MUST go to this location to vote. If you don’t, you will NOT be allowed to vote. It’s important to make sure you’re aware of your location and polling hours of operation. If you’re registered to vote at Bucknell with the address 701 Moore Avenue, your voting location will be the Weis Center open from 7am to 8pm.

Who is on My Ballot?

Every district in the United States will have its own ballot with different people on it. While you’re not required to vote for everyone on the ballot, it may be helpful to at least know who will be listed on it. Rock the vote has a list of all of the positions up for election along with a brief description of the position and the candidates running.

What do I do After I Vote?

Get your “I voted” sticker and wear it loud and proud. You just exercised one of your greatest rights as an American Citizen! Maybe keep eye out for election results as well?

Election Day is exciting so make sure you follow these steps to make sure you’re a prepared and informed voter!

Helpful links:

Rockthevote.com

For PA Residents:

https://www.pavoterservices.state.pa.us/pages/pollingplaceinfo.aspx

I am currently a Junior at Bucknell University studying Political Science and Italian. I hope to one day write informational political pieces for a news reporting agency. When I'm not watching netflix or reading current event I can be found snuggling with my dog.
What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.