The “Go Kit”: Your Secret Weapon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Remember that time in middle school when your friend spilled soup on your new Limited Too shirt? Or that time when you scraped your knee jumping rope at recess? How about when you couldn’t stop sniffling in class? Back then your mom was probably there to remove the stains after you got off the bus, to bandage your knee, and to stock your pockets with tissues. But us college ladies are always on the go and can’t always rely on mom’s “fix it all” powers from afar. So, if it wasn’t at your fingertips back then, now is the time to make the Go Kit your personal, purse-sized superhero!

What it is:

Go • Kit \ˈgō ˈkit\ (noun): basically a more fun way of saying “emergency kit” in which all the valuable keys to surviving daily life as a modern day woman reside in. 

Why you need one:

The Go Kit can be a life-saver on your craziest days. It can save you from having to make a trip back to your dorm because your contacts are being less than kind and you need eye drops, or because you forgot to put a hair tie on your wrist before you ran out the door and now the wind is having a field day with your ‘do. Not only does carrying a Go Kit in your backpack or purse save you time, it also saves you the frustration of spastically shuffling through your bag that the notorious “throw all of the essentials in the front pocket” technique usually brings. An additional pro is that being organized can help eliminate an unnecessary source of stress in your life, clutter!

What to include: 

Creating your Go Kit is a very personal matter, so there aren’t any rules determining what should or shouldn’t be put in. Some common items that have proved themselves worthy of being included in my own personal kit are hand sanitizer, gum, hair ties, mini hair brush/comb, gum, Advil, tissues, chapstick (Soft Lips and Burts Bees are my favorite!), cover up, Tums, tampons, eye drops, mini Tide to go, and cough drops. Some other ideas include mini nail file, travel toothbrush and toothpaste, dental floss, mini deodorant, hand lotion, extra earbuds, a few extra dollars and some coins (for vending machines/parking meters). 

Where to find one:

Your Go Kit can be anything from a small pencil case you’ve had forever to one of those free makeup bags your grandma gives you when she makes a purchase at the department store make-up counter. Here are some cute suggestions to start off your Go Kit:

Do Do Designs (in Pink Cupcakes) Etsy.com

Small Cosmetic (in Va Va Bloom) Verabradley.com

Purse Kit Cosmetic Bag (in Tutti Fruity) Target.com

Always prepared and ready to save the day, the Go Kit makes you the modern-day Wonder Woman! 

Sara is a current sophomore double majoring in Psychology and English with a concentration in Creative Writing. Aside from serving as the Vice President of Administration and writing for Her Campus Bucknell, she is a tour guide, holds a position in her sorority, and serves as a peer counselor at a local elementary school. Sara is an avid fan of yoga, coffee, reading, spontaneous dance parties, and anything that involves rainbow sprinkles.
Sarah Dubow graduated from school in 2013 and is a Digital Strategist at Marina Maher Communications in New York City. After serving as Campus Correspondent at Bucknell University, she is so excited to continue being a part of the Her Campus team! Besides traversing the city and trying to figure out what being a "real person" really means, Sarah loves long walks on the beach, sipping pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain (kidding!). Real favorites include traveling, writing, kickboxing, and making up ridiculous lyrics to the latest songs. She absolutely loves anything that involves cupcakes, butterflies, glitter, and anything Parisian and specializes in baking with far too much chocolate and obsessively watching shows bound to be cancelled after the first season. Though the long term path for this post-grad collegiette remains unclear, she's looking forward to all the new 20-something adventures that await her!