This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

With the rapid approach of final exams and project deadlines, campus libraries and other popular study areas are filled to the brim with anxious students wondering whether they will be able to get every assignment in before the end of the semester. 

I am here to remind you that you will ultimately find a way through the excessive workload—after all, you always do! Now, I am not suggesting that you leave the completion aspect entirely up to fate; unfortunately, there is no way around putting in the effort needed. Although your papers and study guides may seem like the raison d’être for the time being, they are far from your only priority.

In fact, your main responsibility is your well-being. That said, here are a few of my go-to study break activities that are sure to get your blood flowing and your brain working much better than sitting in front of a laptop for four hours straight ever will.

1. Catch up on sleep

I am a huge advocate for a twenty minute power nap in between study sessions. I always wake up rejuvenated and ready to tackle my next assignment. If it’s the middle of the day, invest in a good sleep mask and let the stress go for a while. You know your body best, and if you need a proper sleep, try to work it into your schedule. Every single study ever done on college students emphasizes the importance of rest. I have recently discovered the magic of melatonin and highly recommend it for anyone experiencing insomnia.

1. Get Active

My second tip has to do with getting out of that desk chair and moving your body. Not only is exercise a healthy practice to implement into your daily life, but it can also motivate intellectual productivity. My favorite forms of physical activity on a study day include short YouTube workouts (I am a big advocate of MadFit’s channel—especially her Taylor Swift routines!). These are the most fun, happy workouts and are perfect for doing in your cramped dorm room. If that does not sound like your kind of thing, taking a quick walk around campus is a lovely way to get some fresh air and distance yourself from the work environment. 

1. Check out the Kitchen

It can be wildly distracting if your stomach is grumbling while you are trying to focus. The second that begins to happen, fulfill your body’s needs by taking a trip to the refrigerator. Whip up a quick snack, bake some cookies, or pour yourself a mug of hot chocolate. This may seem simple, but in the long run will have lasting effects on your productivity.

1. Find a Craft!

Although this particular activity does not get you up and out of your element, I have found that picking up a paint-by-numbers or coloring book is a wonderful distraction from hefty lab reports and research articles. Set a timer and let your mind wander while you create something beautiful.

1. Self-Care

Treating yourself to a five or ten minute mindfulness session could provide hours of value that you otherwise may have squandered away. Pulling up a quick meditative exercise or raiding your skincare collection for a soothing mask are both great stress relief tactics. Throw on a soft and upbeat playlist, light a candle, and take some time to tidy up your space. I promise your mind will be clearer and happier if you do so.

I would not recommend journaling or scrolling through social media unless these are practices that put you at ease. The best study break will get your body up, give your fingers a break from typing or writing, and cause you to return to your desk feeling well-rested and excited to get back to work. I hope my little list will help you through this stressful time. Remember… winter break will be here in the blink of an eye!

Grace Woodhouse

Bucknell '25

Grace is an intended Sociology and Theatre double major from upstate New York. Her two favorite things are Starbucks and sushi.