Gift Guide for Your Roommate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Whether your roommate is your best friend or someone you simply wake up with every morning, you share a small room and you probably know a thing or two about her. Below are some holiday gift suggestions for your roommate that she will surely love.

Poster

Jazz up your dorm room with a poster to decorate her side of the room! Websites such as Society6 have a huge assortment to choose from, and chances are you probably have a good idea of what she would like. Does she want to study abroad in France? Get her one of Paris! Is she a huge fashionista? Get her a poster of a vintage Vogue cover. 

Socks, underwear … whatever she’s been borrowing lately!

Every girl has that day where she cannot find a clean pair of socks, underwear, or sports bra. Get her whatever she has been borrowing of yours lately. Often times, the best gifts are things that we need.

Anything monogrammed

In college, students have many of the same items from laundry bags to backpacks to key chains. Give your roommate something personalized that stands out from the crowd. It’s also perfect if your roommate is prone to forget things. It will be much easier to find her set of keys if there’s a monogrammed key chain hanging on there!

Organization for the room

Is there anything that annoys you about your roommate that could be fixed with some baskets or bins? For the messy roommate who either has a cluttered desk or jewelry all over the room, invest in a jewelry organizer or cute baskets for her side of the room. They will surely make the room more organized for both of you!

Planner

Anyone loves a new planner for the new year! The two planners I have used and loved are one from Lilly Pulitzer and a personalized one from Erin Condren, which you can order online at http://www.erincondren.com/store.

Photo of you two for her room at home

The perfect gift for the roommate you’re close with. You two are bound to have a cute picture together. So, print it out and put it in a cute frame; she can bring it home to have a little piece of college with her.

Birchbox

For the beauty fanatic, a Birchbox is the perfect gift, especially because everyone loves getting packages at school! For about $10 a month,  you can sign her up to receive a delivery of high-end beauty samples from top brands. It’s perfect for the roommate who loves getting ready to go out, and will give her a chance to discover and try new products.

Coupons

Coupons are a great gift if you’re on a budget. Decorate index cards with “coupons” for your roommate, whether they be coupons that warrant a load of laundry done and folded or a promise to clean the room for a week. You know what would make your roommate happiest, so get creative!

Happy shopping!

Margaret is a senior at Bucknell University majoring in psychology and economics. She is a campus correspondent for Her Campus Bucknell, a member of the women's squash team, and spent last semester abroad in Rome. She loves all kinds of music from Michael Buble to old-school hip hop, Kiawah Island (SC), Oprah magazine, crossword puzzles and going out to leisurely weekend brunches with her friends. 
Sarah Dubow graduated from school in 2013 and is a Digital Strategist at Marina Maher Communications in New York City. After serving as Campus Correspondent at Bucknell University, she is so excited to continue being a part of the Her Campus team! Besides traversing the city and trying to figure out what being a "real person" really means, Sarah loves long walks on the beach, sipping pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain (kidding!). Real favorites include traveling, writing, kickboxing, and making up ridiculous lyrics to the latest songs. She absolutely loves anything that involves cupcakes, butterflies, glitter, and anything Parisian and specializes in baking with far too much chocolate and obsessively watching shows bound to be cancelled after the first season. Though the long term path for this post-grad collegiette remains unclear, she's looking forward to all the new 20-something adventures that await her!