The “G” Word

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Seniors, in just one week we will be graduating. We will don our caps and gowns, march out of Christy Matthewson Gates, and walk past our friends and family on the quad. We will hear speeches from Sunil Gulati and the lovely Beth Eanelli telling us that we are the future and we’re destined to do great things; we will walk across the stage and receive our diploma. We will express sentiments like, “Wow, those four years went so fast” and “I’m really going to miss this place.” Just like that, we will be graduates and alumni of this university, as we pack up our cars and pierce through “The Bubble” on our way to some sort of real-person world.

With “the g word” so quickly approaching, many of us have been sent into panic mode. What about our friends? Our security? Our future? You may wonder to yourself what you have learned in your four years here. What a liberal arts education has provided you with. You’ve searched for meaning in these last few weeks behind the little things…your last tour, final class, last LIT night. Bucknell sunsets will make you want to cry. You’ll find yourself sentimental about Mac and Cheese Mondays, Trivia Tuesdays at Bull Run and even, dare I say it, sorority recruitment. (Okay well, maybe not, but close.) You will look forward to Senior Week and dread it at the same time because it represents the scarily close proximity to the end of your time here.

When we part, we will go off in tangent directions, towards the unknown. Whether you have plans lined up or are one of the many jobless, our lives will never be the same. Sure, we’ll come back for Homecoming and spout wisdom to Reunion Ambassadors over the summer, telling students about how much better life was “back in the day” (sadly, they’ll probably think, “why on earth is this old person talking to me?”). However, we won’t walk across the quad to class again, fretting about a presentation. We won’t have an awkward one night stand only to see them in the library the next day. We won’t get obliterated during House Party only to trudge to our Monday morning test still hungover. We will move on to new and great things. But, we must remember how great our college years were.

I mean think about it. You have decided to dedicate four years of your life to living in this place we call the Bucknell Bubble. To pack up, move away from home to live among strangers, and submit yourself to agonizing projects, impossible papers, and cruel tests semester after semester in the pursuit of one piece of paper. How weird is that? You worked tirelessly in class, became leaders in organizations, and found best friends. You have had awkward hook-ups, way too many drunken nights, and fallen down the icy Grove. Now, you will put on a silly little cap and robe, doing your best Harry Potter impression (graduation prank anyone? BBB?), and throw your hat to receive a tiny piece of paper, what you’ve been working towards tirelessly for four…four years…one piece of paper.

As a Tour Guide, I am so often asked “Why Bucknell?” So please forgive my cheesiness and swallow your laughter because my answer is stupid and true. I chose Bucknell for the people. Whether I know your or whether I’ve just seen you in passing, there is something intrinsically wonderful about Bucknellians. Something about everyone smiling as you pass them on the quad, our unbelievable motivation and passion for life. Bucknell has provided me with the greatest challenges, the resources to accomplish goals beyond my wildest dreams, and friends that I know will last I lifetime.

Curious if others felt the same way, I asked a few seniors for their thoughts on what Bucknell and graduation means to them.

“Graduation is exciting in some ways because I’m excited or the next chapter in my life. But, what I’m really going to miss is being in a place where all of my closest friends are within 5 minutes and you have endless opportunities for growth and learning and fun.” – Tricia Sherrard

“On my run the other day, I was thinking about how both campus and Lewisburg is a place that feels very comfortable and safe and like home. But there are also always new discoveries, even after four years.” – Tricia Sherrard 

“If I only had one phrase to sum it up I’d say Bucknell exceeded my expectations unimaginably.”- Tim Hobson

“Bucknell helped me to learn who I really was and gave me the confidence to succeed in whatever I choose to do in my life.”- Eric Brod

“I have absolutely loved my 4 years here. I have made great friendships that have defined me and will continue to help me grow in the next phase of my life. Nonetheless, I am extremely excited to graduate, and I am ready to move on to the next journey. Although, I will miss Bucknell like crazy.” – Betsy Curry

There were several times in the past four years when I wanted nothing more than to be done with school, but now that that day has arrived, I wish I could stay just a little longer.  Bucknell has given me friendships and experiences that I will always cherish- Kristen Walsleben

“Bucknell has given me some of the best opportunities – the opportunities to explore, experience, empower, engage and enroll. And, without all of these opportunities, this journey would not have been has sensational as it has been and continues to be.” – Lindsey Myers

“Bucknell was a magical and surreal experience that made me in the person I am today.” – Nick Stetz

Bucknell gave me countless opportunities to discover who I am and who I want to be.  While I am certainly not ready to leave, I feel incredibly prepared for every obstacle that may come my way in the coming years. – Allison Gibson

“My happiness at Bucknell these past four years has come from the fact that I can’t walk across campus without seeing familiar faces, from the incredible people I have met here, the talent I have seen, the season changes, the traditions and from being able to call Bucknell home.”- Beth Eanelli

Seniors, in just one week we will be graduating. We will don our caps and gowns, walk out of Christy Matthewson Gates, and walk past our friends and family on the quad. We will graduate. We will move on. But, for this last week, let’s rejoice in an amazing four years and a job well done. And after? We’ll hold onto the adage, “Once a Bucknellian, always a Bucknellian” and never forget that we are forever tied to the orange and blue.

Congratulations seniors and ’Ray Bucknell!

Sarah Dubow graduated from school in 2013 and is a Digital Strategist at Marina Maher Communications in New York City. After serving as Campus Correspondent at Bucknell University, she is so excited to continue being a part of the Her Campus team! Besides traversing the city and trying to figure out what being a "real person" really means, Sarah loves long walks on the beach, sipping pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain (kidding!). Real favorites include traveling, writing, kickboxing, and making up ridiculous lyrics to the latest songs. She absolutely loves anything that involves cupcakes, butterflies, glitter, and anything Parisian and specializes in baking with far too much chocolate and obsessively watching shows bound to be cancelled after the first season. Though the long term path for this post-grad collegiette remains unclear, she's looking forward to all the new 20-something adventures that await her!