Four “Healthy” Study Snacks That Aren’t Healthy At All

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Being healthy is incredibly hard while you’re at Bucknell. And knowing which foods are healthy (and which ones are not) is even harder.  When you’re spending hours in the library cramming for an exam, you want a study snack that keeps you full and focused, but is healthy at the same time. These common study snacks seem to be healthy but are actually far from it.

Trail Mix

The raisins and peanuts make it seem healthy, but let’s be honest, the M&Ms are the only reason it tastes so good. Though nuts, dried fruit and candy are all good in moderation, the three together isn’t an ideal snack. Trail mix, especially the kinds that include peanuts and candy, is loaded with calories and sugar. If you still want an easy study snack, make your own trail mix. Opt for a nut such as chestnuts – which only contain 69 calories per ounce – pay close attention to package labels, select dried fruits that don’t contain any added sugar, and skip the candy entirely. 

Nut Butters

Nut butters are an excellent source of protein.  However, they are loaded with added sugars.  Just think of it this way: a plain old peanut tastes nowhere as sweet as a jar of creamy peanut butter. But don’t fear. There are some nut butters out there that contain no added sugar, just pay close attention to the label next time you’re shopping.

Flavored Yogurts

Yogurts are always deemed healthy because they contain tons of probiotics, which is true.  Flavored yogurts are delicious but they contain tons of added sugar. Some yogurts have over 20 grams of sugar in one serving.  Next time you want a sweeter yogurt, opt for some plain Greek yogurt and add honey or fresh fruit for taste.

Dried Fruits

There is no denying that dried fruits are healthy. However, many dried fruits contain added preservatives and tons of sugar. Even if you have a dried fruit that doesn’t contain the added sugar, there is still a problem with dried fruits. Many psychologists and nutritionists claim that “we eat with our eyes,” meaning that a dried raisin is much smaller than a full grape, which leads us to eat more of them. Dried produce is tricky, so take caution and pay close attention to the serving sizes while enjoying it.

What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.