Five Things to Do This Fall (That Don’t Involve Pumpkins)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Autumn on campus is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful times of year, and throughout Bucknell and the surrounding areas, there are plenty of ways to take advantage of the everything fall before the semester ends. Here are ways to make the most of the season that are more festive than just adding a pump of pumpkin spice syrup to your morning coffee.

1. Run a Race

Fall is the ideal time for running, and with tons of races in October and November (including many to benefit Breast Cancer Awareness Month) why not give it a go? Plenty of races go on over Thanksgiving break as well, and getting involved with friends and family is a great way to spend a weekend while working off the turkey and Halloween candy that you will buy for yourself – well, because you can.

2. Master A Healthy Fall Treat

Sweater weather is the idea time for baking, and there are plenty of healthy recipes. A family favorite taken from Karlie Kloss, this apple crisp is super easy to make, paleo, vegan, and tastes amazing (seriously!).

Apple Krisp Recipe

Filling:

4 cups apples (sliced and peeled)

2 teaspoons lemon juice

1 tablespoon maple syrup

1 teaspoon vanilla

¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg

¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon

Crumble: 

½ cup almond flour

½ cup gluten free oats

1 tsp nutmeg

1 tsp cinnamon

1 ½ tablespoons maple syrup

1/3 coconut oil

1. Preheat oven to 375F.  2. Place apples in small pan, pour lemon juice, add 1 tablespoon of maple syrup, nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla. Toss around until mixed around well.  3. Mix almond flour, oats, spices, date sugar and maple syrup together in mixing bowl. Mix in coconut oil until it’s crumbly.  4. Place crumble over the apples and pour the remaining maple syrup over the top. Bake 30-40 minutes, and enjoy!

3. Host a Potluck

It doesn’t have to be a Friendsgiving to get friends together to host a brunch or dinner before finals week creeps up. Heading to Ard’s for a meal also adds the fall ambiance without risking the potential cooking disaster (and in case you were missing pumpkins from the list, their pumpkin pancakes are a must-have). This is a great opportunity to start a new tradition!

4. Get Outside  

One of the most beautiful parts of living in Lewisburg is seeing the fall foliage that unfortunately only lasts for so long. Despite the colder weather, the views (and photo opportunities) are well worth it, so head out with some friends on an afternoon hike to see rural Pennsylvania for all it has to offer. Don’t forget to bring a camera!

5. Take the Time to Say Thank You

Thanksgiving Break is a great time to do a couple random acts of kindness. In the time of year when everyone likes to say what they are thankful for, put some action behind your words! Sending a card to a friend or bringing flowers to a neighbor who has been supportive throughout the years speaks volumes.

(Bonus for 21+) Head Out to the Cider Bar

With tons of options and a cozy ambiance, Civil War Cider is full of ciders, specialty beers and talented performers every week. If you want a view, drive down to Skeeters for their hard apple cider, which is served cold in slushie form. 

SaveSave

Emma Sheehy is a senior English major at Bucknell University. Now washed up, she can be seen running around Lewisburg, people watching on the first floor of the library and drinking wine in her apartment. She prefers to send snail mail, call people rather than text (to the dismay of her friends) and loves nighttime walks. To see more of her "stuff" check out her personal blog on life at Bucknell at http://www.emmasheehy.com.
What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.