This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Across the nation, Greek Letter organizations have become the targets of intense administrative and public scrutiny. In many situations, these critiques of fraternities and sororities are grounded in truth and relevancy. Concerns about problematic gender roles, safety risks, and issues of inclusion in Greek Life are legitimate, and deserve to be brought into the conversation. However, too often it is assumed that feminism and panhellenic sisterhood are two mutually exclusive concepts that can not coexist in the same sphere. If this was ever true, it certainly is not anymore, as we occupy a campus where the foundation of most sororities is empowerment and women are encouraged to be unapologetic in their aspirations.

It is no secret that Greek Life at Bucknell is vibrant and deeply-rooted within the campus culture. However, the most noticeable difference between Bucknell and other predominantly Greek-centered schools is the way in which Bucknell women approach traditional gendered expectations with their own unique perspectives. In particular, here are five ways in which sororities at Bucknell regularly illustrate their contemporary feminist ideals:

1. Celebrations of successful sisters

Numerous sororities have systems in place to celebrate sisters when they go above and beyond in a professional or academic arena.When sororities celebrate these accomplishments, they are explicitly encouraging sisters to be ambitious in their pursuits and offering positive encouragement for serious brain power. 

2. Rituals of affirmation

One of the most common sorority rituals is the communal “hype-up.” Sisters often pinball compliments and encouragements off one another in a frenzy of support and positivity. To be a part of it is simultaneously overwhelming and exhilarating. 

3. Exhibitions of loyalty

Whether it’s wearing certain letters, identifying as part of a particular “tribe,” or serving in executive roles within an organization, panhellenic loyalty runs deep on campus. Quickly, girls find their people. And then they hold them tight. 

4. Emphases on respective values 

Many sororities have discussions within their own organizations about what principles they hold as central to their communal identities. Regularly mentioned values include being kind, accountable, supportive, and a strong leader. By deciding what matters most to each sorority, girls are taking greater agency and dismantling any remnants of sororities as collective pageants. 

5. Provision of a home-base 

Bucknell, like a lot of campuses, presents a distinct set of challenges to many students. College can feel lonely, and hard, and sorority girls on Bucknell’s campus do not shy away from talking about such challenges. Throughout recruitment, and at numerous different sororities, it was repeatedly stated that the sorority that you choose will prove to be your home-away-from-home. They will be your beacons of light through tribulations, and your greatest fans in triumph. Solidarity regularly proves to be both a pillar of sorority life and feminism on Bucknell’s campus.

So while Greek Letter organizations attract a lot of negative national attention, Bucknell’s sororities are a leading example of how panhellenic organizations can promote positive community and healthy female environments. Times are changing, and so are sororities’ roles on campuses nationwide. While Greek Life still has issues that need to be addressed, these are just some of the ways that it serves as a positive for women at Bucknell as they prepare for all that life will bring.