This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

So, I try to be as up to date with the fashion world as much as I can. I admit that I have been a bit lazy with this year’s fashion shows. However, with the task of recapping the biggest fashion events of the year, I boogied down and studied up! Here’s a crash course on what you missed in New York Fashion Week and London Fashion Week 2013. It’s just like Spark Notes!

New York Fashion Week
There were black-and-whites, peekaboos and some other trends trickled down from last year. Then, there were the trends inspired by, possibly straight from the high-end street styles captured and worn by bloggers and fashionistas alike.

The Chic Baggy

Bermuda shorts? Not exactly. These pants come calf-length and give off a breezy feel and an elegant shape that elevates any weekend lounge outfit to the next level.

Bib Tanks

Rihanna wore them. Miley sported them. I boldly wore them. For all you who made fun of me for wearing this, this one’s for you. The collar-bone high neckline is a throwback to the ’90s…Spice Girls anyone? Wear them with a high-waisted flared skirt or baggy jean pants and a sleek pair of black heels for the ultimate edgy look.

Logos

Another shout-out to the ’90s. Remember when everything had the brand logo printed all over each article of clothing? This trend is similar but much more chic and less tacky (for now). The logos are featured on various designs in different forms as seen above!

Embroidery

The designers did a bit of crafting in preparation for this season. Many shows featured embroidery—everything from lace, glitter, ribbons and other additional fabrics to supplement the skeleton design.  

Layered Hems

This one reminded me a bit of mermaids, but that’s why I love this trend! Basically, two different types of skirts have been layered on top of each other to create a more sophisticated and forward look.

Hats

Such a classic piece that is often overlooked! Hats are not just to cover up that greasy hair after the gym. Wear a nice dress with boots and put on a beanie to give a bit of street-style edge to the outfit. Not a fan of beanies? Invest in a nice winter hat to supplement the most basic outfit. It will upgrade your wardrobe to the next level.

London Fashion Week
The chic baggy/Bermuda shorts and ’90s trends were carried overseas to the London Fashion Week. In addition to these, though, were a few other defining trends of the LFW.

Bomber Jackets

Nothing says sleek and cool like a perfect bomber jacket. Throw this baby over a crop shirt and well fitted pants and you will surely be the next Her Campus Style Blog star. 

Rough Edges

The frayed ends of a dress, shirt or even pants give a nice finishing, ironically, touch to a seemingly basic piece. It keeps the look fresh and interesting—clean yet not too basic!

Sheer

Another trend that has trickled down from last year, the sheer chiffon layers on skirts, shirt hems and much more were all over the runway!

Milan Fashion Week
Much of the wearable trends have already been discussed but here are some of the most notable shows (in my humble opinion) of Milan Fashion Week!

Prada

The definition of luxury—oh, the definition of luxe fashion is the house of Prada. This collection shows the wonderful creativity behind the iconic house of fashion. With its Pop designs and bold combinations of loud colors and materials.

Max Mara

This chic collection defined sleek and minimal ’90s in the best sense. The show encompassed the feminine softness while also giving power to the woman with its clear-cut lines. In a word, the collection was fierce. Subtle but fierce.

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com