Easy Ways to Make a Difference this Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

The holiday season is a reminder for some to be kind and give where they can. Here are some ways to extend your hand to those in need this winter. 

1. Purchase gifts on Amazon. http://smile.amazon.com 

As if Amazon wasn’t already the best, you can now make a difference while you shop. By shopping using the Amazon Smile link, Amazon will donate 0.5% of the price of the item to a charity of your choice. Over the holidays you will definitely need to purchase a few gifts for your friends and family, so you might as well kill two birds with one stone. Now you can feel a little bit better about your online shopping obsession knowing you’re supporting a great cause. 

2. Add personal touches to the gifts you give.

Show your friends and family how much you love and appreciate them by adding personal touches to your gifts. Something as simple as a handwritten note can easily spice up a gift andis sure to put a smile on the recipient’s face. 

3. Donate or Volunteer. 

Especially during the holidays, campus and local communities are flourishing with toy, clothing and food drives. Spend some time over break going through your closet, looking for clothes you no longer wear and donate them! It’s a great way to clear out your own clutter while doing some good at the same time. If you absolutely have to keep everything in your closet, you can purchase toys or canned goods to give to children and families in need. Want to get your hands dirty? Gather up some friends and volunteer at a local soup kitchen or food bank. You can catch up with some home friends, make some memories, and most importantly ensure that no one goes hungry this holiday season.

4. Give a genuine compliment everyday.

Make it a goal this holiday season to give at least one genuine compliment every day. Your words have a huge impact and one compliment could make a huge difference in someone’s day. You never know who needs a little positive encouragement to make it by.

5. Help out in the kitchen. 

No matter what holiday you celebrate, there is bound to be good food on the table. This year, why not try helping out in the kitchen? This could be a great way to bond with your family as well as show some appreciation for the usual chef. The food will taste even better knowing your elbow grease is a part of the recipe. 

As you can see it’s easy to give back to your community and the people you love. You don’t need to be a superhero to spread some holiday cheer. Have a great holiday season and a Happy New Year! Love always, Her Campus!

Isobel Lloyd

Bucknell '21

New York ~ Bucknell