To Do or Not to Do?, Should Never Be the Question…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

All you need to navigate House Party, the right way.

It’s here. The most anticipated weekend of the semester is finally here! No, silly, Pat Benatar at Chrysalis is the second most anticipated weekend this semester. I’m talking about House Party! House Party Weekend is what every college movie tries to replicate, what other schools can’t duplicate (Frolics at Davidson, anyone?), and what most of us will vaguely remember, yet hold in high esteem come Monday morning. As Barney Stinson would simply put it, it’s legen – wait for it – dary. First years, if you don’t believe me, just ask some of your upperclassmen friends. For those of you upperclassmen who haven’t quite caught the HPW bug, maybe you’ve been doing it wrong. Fear not, here are some dos and don’ts for the weekend that are sure to make sure you maximize your fun.

DO

• Pace Yourself. Remember, HP is a marathon not a sprint. How do you expect to enjoy the weekend if you’re too sick to leave your room? It doesn’t matter how you pace yourself, as long as you make it uphill for the Pig Roast you’re in good shape…
  • Have a Plan. It doesn’t matter how loose your plan is, but just make sure you have at least some semblance of one. Nothing could be worse than missing out on some fun times and epic memories because you’re stuck trying to figure out where to go first or where you should meet your friends. Figure that out in advance. Make pocket itineraries for you and your friends, synchronize your watches, do whatever it takes… just do it ahead of time.
  • Split the Cost. You know what I mean…There’s really no reason to break the bank. For those readers that are of the legal drinking age, get together with the homies you’ll be rollin’ with and each contribute your own type of alcohol. Divvying up the essentials for the weekend means you’ll have a great smorgasbord without feeling horrible for spending so much on drinks. This year, the woman at the liquor store will probably think I’m a total rum head. Sorry, I’m not sorry.

DON’T…

• Get caught up with trying to do it all. Unless you’re Hermione Granger and you possess a time-turner, there is no way you can make it to everything that’s happening over the weekend. Pick and choose a few places to go. Where are you going to have the most fun? Where will you feel most comfortable? What have you been looking forward to?
  • Be Stupid. Going up to Public Safety with a Dino Sippy Cup filled with alcohol may not be the wisest thing to do (I may or may not be speaking from experience). You want to have a good time and you will! You don’t need to run across the top of cars to have fun, so keep that in mind.
  • Leave a fallen soldier behind. Have you ever seen Saving Private Ryan? No man gets left behind! Emulate that motto. If your friend is feeling sick or just needs to recharge, don’t leave them to do so alone. Remember, Alan’s is only one-person wolf pack.

Go forth and have a great weekend!

XOXO

Whit

Sarah Dubow graduated from school in 2013 and is a Digital Strategist at Marina Maher Communications in New York City. After serving as Campus Correspondent at Bucknell University, she is so excited to continue being a part of the Her Campus team! Besides traversing the city and trying to figure out what being a "real person" really means, Sarah loves long walks on the beach, sipping pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain (kidding!). Real favorites include traveling, writing, kickboxing, and making up ridiculous lyrics to the latest songs. She absolutely loves anything that involves cupcakes, butterflies, glitter, and anything Parisian and specializes in baking with far too much chocolate and obsessively watching shows bound to be cancelled after the first season. Though the long term path for this post-grad collegiette remains unclear, she's looking forward to all the new 20-something adventures that await her!