Dear Abby: Apprehensive at Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Dear Abby,
I’m excited for school, I really am, but I am just so nervous for everything. I have gotten so used to summer—relaxation, no work, late nights and later mornings—that I just don’t know how I am going to go back to everything at the Buck—class every day, heavy work loads and Bison food. Any advice for a girl who has gotten too used to home?
Sincerely,
Apprehensive at Home

Dear Apprehensive at Home,
Let’s be frank here: you know how great life at the Buck truly is. It is easy to get stuck in a way of life, especially after it has become a routine for the past three months. But you’ve been there before; wasn’t it difficult to come back home after a full year at Bucknell? Sometimes we get so used to a certain way of life that change really scares us. However, we won’t get anywhere if we don’t push our fears aside, especially for the four greatest years of your life.

Instead of running away from Lewisburg, run towards it. The moment your stomach drops thinking about a difficult all-nighter or an eight a.m. class, remind yourself how you have grown to call Bucknell home. So, the food at the Bison or caf may not be your mom’s home cooking but with time, you grow to love a Bison wrap and Thanksgiving dinner at the caf. Try to focus on the memories that make you smile from past semesters and remember that change is your friend.

So, to you, Apprehensive at Home, I say you know how to balance your work and finish it timely, how to wake up early and go to bed late and why you chose Bucknell in the first place. So replace those pre-school jitters with butterflies of excitement.

Enjoy the last week of summer,
Abby