Celebrating Valentine’s Day at the Buck

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

The day devoted to Hallmark and chocolate, candy hearts and Cupid and of course, the one that 90% of the female population absolutely despises is quickly approaching:  February 14, commonly known as Valentine’s Day. On a day devoted to love, it is not uncommon to long for the perfect date or pine for Chris Pine as your valentine. However, not many use this day to celebrate the love we have for our friends and ourselves. This year, I’m declaring Valentine’s Day as “Valen-time-for-you-and-friends” Day. And truthfully, there’s nowhere else better to celebrate Valentine’s Day than Lewisburg … right?! Below are some fun, cost-friendly ideas to make Valentine’s Day a celebration of joy rather than a lamentation with Kleenex.

1.) Attend the A.C.E Valentine’s Day Dinner on February 15! Even though it’s an annual event, the A.C.E Valentine’s Day Dinner will be bigger and better than ever this year. Held in the Terrace room on the night of February 15, this year’s dinner features the serenading sounds of Beyond Unison a cappella, Italian food, a black-and-white film screening, beautiful decorations and a night you won’t forget. Sign up in the CAP Center until February 12 with a group of friends, that special someone, your roommate or your friend from class. Although Valentine’s Day will have passed by the time of the dinner, you’ll spend February 14 looking forward to the event. You’ll want to save the calories for the dinner instead of eating Ben & Jerry’s alone the day before!

2.) Host a bake-a-thon in your dorm. Sweets always soothe the soul. Buy baking supplies from Wal-Mart or Weis, grab all your friends and spend February 14 baking the day away. Making sugary confections will be the ultimate distraction from becoming bitter over not having a boyfriend. Check out Pinterest for cute cupcake and dessert ideas; I’m dying to make this one http://pinterest.com/pin/148267012704422852/. Plus, what guys won’t love free cupcakes ;)?

3.) Do something YOU love. What makes you happy? Is it taking pictures of our beautiful campus? Going on a hike? Taking a road trip to Chipotle? Whatever it is, make Valentine’s Day about you. Forget all the lovey-dovey stuff … just focus on what you love, and make that something to celebrate.  

4.) A spin on the classic “movie date.” Possibly the most classic date of all time, turn a typical movie date (whether it be with friends or a significant other) into something fresh and new. To create a new tradition, rent a projector from the library and watch an old black-and-white movie on your dorm room wall. Have your friends over for wine and

hors d’oeuvres, prepare dinner beforehand for that special someone or simply dive into a huge bowl of popcorn and enjoy a movie-theatre experience in the comfort of your own “home.”

5.) Buy flowers for yourself. Sure, it may sound goofy to get flowers for yourself on Valentine’s Day, but it’s a guaranteed pick-me-up. Fresh flowers elevate any mood, so do yourself a favor by taking a trip to the flower shop on Market Street and splurging on a beautiful day. Every time you look at them, the flowers will remind you about how much you love the person you are. That’s something to celebrate!

6.) Eat a cupcake. Another great thing about downtown Lewisburg is the Stay Sweet Cupcakery, one of the best assets to downtown in my opinion. Get a group together to venture to the store and sample each flavor of cupcake until you’re all sugared-out … but really, is there such a thing as that? Bon appetit!

7.) Send complements to the people you love. No boyfriend? No problem! Certainly, there are other people in your life that you absolutely adore or couldn’t live without. This Valentine’s Day, show how much you care by sending out cute memos on pretty stationary. Visit the Bookstore or Brushstrokes downtown to purchase cute paper, and then head to 7th St. or the Vaughn Literature library to take a quiet moment to yourself and write notes to the people you love most in your life. You’ll feel surrounded by love after thinking about all the people who mean so much to you, and those receiving your notes will feel equally as appreciated.

8.) Fall in love again. Since Valentine’s Day is so hyped up in the advertising/media world, it feels like you cannot escape the persistent “Every Kiss Begins with Kay” commercials or specials offered at the local Hallmark store. Get away from it all by braving the cold and getting outside for the day. Walk a different way to class than you normally would just to see a different part of campus; photograph places like Bucknell Hall, Rooke Chapel, and the many other aesthetically-pleasing buildings on campus or marvel at an orange-and-blue sunset from the Quad. Being surrounded by nature always helps put things in perspective and bring peace to any crappy day. Also, exploring our beautiful campus will have you falling head over heels for Bucknell.

Sure, it’s no New York City, but both Bucknell and Lewisburg offer lots of ways to celebrate, not despise, Valentine’s Day. Take my tips above and turn this cheesy holiday into one you’ll look forward to for years to come. So long pity parties; hello loving you!

XX,

Jen

Sarah Dubow graduated from school in 2013 and is a Digital Strategist at Marina Maher Communications in New York City. After serving as Campus Correspondent at Bucknell University, she is so excited to continue being a part of the Her Campus team! Besides traversing the city and trying to figure out what being a "real person" really means, Sarah loves long walks on the beach, sipping pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain (kidding!). Real favorites include traveling, writing, kickboxing, and making up ridiculous lyrics to the latest songs. She absolutely loves anything that involves cupcakes, butterflies, glitter, and anything Parisian and specializes in baking with far too much chocolate and obsessively watching shows bound to be cancelled after the first season. Though the long term path for this post-grad collegiette remains unclear, she's looking forward to all the new 20-something adventures that await her!