The Career Development Center is There for You Every Step of the Way

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Whether you’re a freshman wondering where the Career Development Center is or a senior stressing about an upcoming job interview, the job search can be extremely daunting. Regardless of your career plans and what step of the process you are in, the CDC can assist you on your path! 

Bucknell does an unbelievable job putting you on the track to success. The mean starting salary for the Class of 2016 was $54,625. In addition, 97% of the Class of 2016 reported being employed, in graduate school, or volunteering within 9 months of graduation. Bucknellians have unique access and resources for career success. Be sure to take advantage of them! 

The Basics for Freshmen and Sophomores:

It is never too early to start on your career search, but you also don’t need to stress out. We want to provide you with a few suggestions/tips to consider once you have adjusted to life on campus. 

First, the CDC is located in the Botany Building and is open Monday-Friday from 8:30-4:30 PM. Walk-in hours are specifically from 1:30-3:30 PM on Mondays-Fridays. Individual appointments can also be made with career counselors. Email cdc@bucknell.edu to make an appointment. The service is there to help you learn about career paths, navigate job searches, discover graduate school plans, understand employers’ hiring process, create/update your resume and cover letters, prep for interviews, and research employers and find contacts.

We highly recommend working on your resume as well as joining clubs/activities that peak your interests to find what you are passionate about. You can begin to create your LinkedIn page with the help of counselors at the CDC. You should also download the Bucknell Alumni App to begin networking.

Sophomores should participate in Bucknell’s Externship program. An externship is a two-day job shadowing program during winter or spring break. Those interested should attend one 30-minute Orientation Session, where you will learn the overview, application requirements, and steps to apply. Be sure to check out the Orientation dates provided on the website. The application deadline is October 24th. 

Internships & Job Search for Juniors and Seniors:  

The word ‘job’ is probably your least favorite word right now; however, it is important to be actively involving yourself in the career search. Set time to look through The Bridge and take note of places you are interested in applying to. 

Although not necessary, internships are a great way to gain experience before graduation. As juniors, we recommend taking time to look through The Bridge: Bucknell’s online database of jobs, internships, externships and on campus jobs. Search the calendar to learn about career fairs and programs. Upload your resumes/cover letters and apply for jobs on the Bridge. Set your career preferences, manage alerts and create one click job searches.

Use the CDC to perfect your resume, cover letter, and job applications. Read the useful emails, like the Career Center Sr. Career Insider that comes out on Mondays, in order to stay on top of all the latest career activity. Check out the My Career Center gadget on the myBucknell dashboard, which offers the VAULT Career Insider online career library, current job listings, etc. Learn what Bucknell Alumni are doing now and use them to continue networking with the help of the Bucknell Alumni App as well as the Bucknell LinkedIn networking page.  

Informational interviews are a very useful tool to make conversations with professionals who will share their experiences, give advice, and provide guidance. In addition, be sure to have professional clothing for upcoming interviews as well as events/opportunities on campus. 

CDC is there for you with anything you need, from negotiating, accepting, or declining employment offers as well as transiting to life as an alum (Life After Bucknell series for seniors). 

The CDC is looking forward to working with you and assisting you along your career path!

Molly Farrell is a junior at Bucknell University majoring in creative writing and minoring in arts entrepreneurship. She enjoys long walks on the beach, netflix to continue playing, and her puns intended. Follow her on instagram: mfarrell34
Olivia is a junior writer and VP Tech for Her Campus Bucknell. She loves being on the Her Campus team because it's a unique platform for college women to support one another. Outside of Her Campus, Olivia is obsessed with her Westie, a lover of all things coral, and a muffin fanatic.